Got my starter working today, what the crap is going on?

Crab_Cake

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So when I bought my bike the PO said that the starter button didn't work. The starter motor worked just fine if you touched the solenoids together.

I got home from school today and was just thinking about how nice it would be if I didn't have to kick start my bike all the time.

Well I pushed the starter button in frustration and the bike started right up. :eek:

I was shocked. I turned the bike off and waited a minute then tried again. Nothing. I went through all kinds of different motions trying to figure out what I did. Then I figured it out. The throttle has to be open for it to work. It just has to be cracked but unless its open the starter will not work.

This seems really weird. Is this how these bikes are designed or does mine having something going on with it?

Just a coincidence. Throttle has noting to do with the electrics. There's a short or dirty contacts in the swtich. Pull it check the wiring, clean the cotancts, buy a new switch from MikesXS or any universal will work, just find a place to relocate it.

Just a coincidence. Throttle has noting to do with the electrics. There's a short or dirty contacts in the swtich. Pull it check the wiring, clean the cotancts, buy a new switch from MikesXS or any universal will work, just find a place to relocate it.
The switch is completely clean and looks brand new inside. I am thinking that by moving the throttle something inside it is giving the switch a ground and letting it work.

I really don't know though.

An old electrician I knew once told me "if you ever have any electric problems 9 times out of 10 its the ground. The other time its still probably the ground". :D

Had the same problem. Starter button didn't work at all when I first got the bike. But if I played with the throttle a little bit while holding the starter button in I'd get it to go. Sounds like a bad ground. Throw a new ground to the bars and try it. Cured my problem.

I agree with strungxout. The problem is that the handlebars are not grounded...........the starter PB needs a ground. Some years had a ground wire ran to the handlebar mounting bolts..................other years had a black wire run from the ground harness in the headlight, to the turn switch on the bars.

The throttle cable is giving you an "accidental" ground, but as you see its not reliable.

Hi TRG.....Is there any reason why running a ground wire connect off the handlebar riser (as was the case in many models) into the ground wire circuitry of the bike would not be a good idea as well for those models which were not so equipped OEM?

It seems like a no-brainer to me and I don't understand why the practice would have been discontinued? Of course one still has to get connection via the switches and bar.

Best, Blue (still can't kick btw....think it might be age related?)

blue;
Perhaps Yamaha thought it was better to bring a ground directly into the turn switch. It should work just as well by grounding the handlebars riser.

Yeah, I love my starter motor.................this is my forth riding season with my 78SE and haven't kick started yet.:bike:

Back