Greetings

Rsteen

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just picked up. 75 650. It sought me out as the owner called me and ask me if I wanted it. All lights work, starts, but leaks gas out of the carb like someone gave it flo-max and the starter sounds like hell- what's up with that.

Anyway, don't see too many 650 around southwest Oklahoma, so we will have some fun with it. Was going to cafe it, but mprobably do a light clean up with some mods to make it more "sporting". Anyway, should be a fun project.

Welcome, RSteen. No one ever calls me and says hey I gotta bike for ya:) Sounds like a great project you got. Toss up some pics!

I will do so once I figure it out. My first test the picture was uploaded upside down. Trying to figure that out as it is right when I look at it on my iPad.

Let's start by saying Hello and welcome.
Getting a repair manual should be at the top of your list of things to do.
www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf will help with the carbs.
To fix the starter you need to tighten up the spring. Like in this pic.
It hides behind the clutch unside the right side engine cover.
Leo

Attachments

• starter spring 001 (640x480).jpg
    starter spring 001 (640x480).jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 73
Your bike sounds typical of the condition one acquires these in. They all need some work and some TLC. Cleaning the carbs and the hydraulic brake components are usually required. But they are very nice bikes once sorted so are worth the effort.

Welcome to the site. Good To hear about your bike finding you. Glad the Tornado missed your area. The weather has been kicking a lot of ass lately. You name it we got hit by it. Flooding, snow, drought :wtf: the hurricane wiped out a lot of the northeast. I've been lucky so far weather-wise. Once you get the minor issues sorted you will have a great bike to ride. :thumbsup:

I will post up some photos later today now that I have figured out why they are upside down.

Anyway, this morning I threw it up on my lift I just bought at HF and stripped off the luggage rack, xbackrest, and hiway pegs. I was going to change the bars to some superbike bars and bar end mirrors, but I did not notice the wire are internal to the bars. So I had to mark and drill the new bars to keep the I internal wiring, but left my drimal at home. So I will do that later today.

I do have a advantage as my shop is in the rear of a building I own that is separated into two units. The front is rented to a motorcycle repair shop that does excellent work. If I get into a jam I can give them a yell and they will help. It works out great as I let the mechanic overhaul his huge tractor in my shop. . He asked and I thought he meant garden tractor, but it was some sort of huge diesel international tractor. I swear that kid can fix anything.

Anyway, thanks for the info on the spring and I will post photos later today.

For some reason it will not load two photos. Maybe I will figure it out. Got to love that seat! Thankfully it is on the stock base. Anyway, working on putting on superbike bars, not clubman as my back wont handle those.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 103
Those stock standard bars are decent to run but you have to chuck that seat.
The '75 have the best graphics IMHO, welcome to the site!

The paint is not as good as it looks. It has metal flake in it, I thought it was over spray as it looks like stripper glitter- or so I have been told:). Yea that seat has to go, it is a left over from the 70's.

I will start a new thread over in builds to document the build. It will be slow going as I am working on a 57 Chevy as well.

Back