Gutting a dunstall replica muffler

78whiteorbs

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was wondering if it is possible to gut the baffle out of a emgo reverse cone dunstall replica muffler. I love the looks but the sound leaves something to be desired. Straight pipes sound good and throaty. These are not the ones with the removable baffles but with welded in steel baffles. Is it posssible and how hard would it be .

You can break the 6 shooter style baffle out of the end of the pipe but you may not like the results. I lost one on the road somewhere and the pipe sounded bad, real raspy. I fabbed up a simple pipe insert baffle to quiet it back down.

I thought those Dunstall reps were OK but after I changed to Mike's Commando mufflers, I now know better. The sound and performance is crap on those Dunstalls compared to the Commandos. The only thing good I can say about them is they look nice.

I hear ya , and they are cheap!

I been eyeballin some norton peashooters on ebay, wonder how they sound..... I dig the look of the replicas and could get use to the sound for a while I suppose for the price. Far as raspy goes, I have an RD200 and had a RD350 two stroke and it dont get any raspier than that! LOL actually I like raspy better than quiet. Here is my old 350 winding up-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I59M3tp8KM

I had Dunstal replica's on my 850 Commando. They choked the hell out of it. I drilled 2 1/8th in each outlet. That opened it up and all was well. I liked the note it made.

so you just drilled straight into one of the "six shooter" openings?
trying to understand this....

It's hard to see with the "6 shooter" baffle still in place but there is only one main exit hole from the muffler behind it, in the center. The "6 shooter" thing baffles the exhaust coming out that single hole, taking the raspiness out of it. Surrounding the one exit hole is just solid metal plate. So, yes, just drill holes through that plate. I would start with 3 tubes (every other one) and pick a hole size you could plug with a sheet metal screw if you don't like the resulting sound. This way, you could "tune" the sound to your liking.

Back