Handlebar choke lever

Edgewood RI

XS650 Member
Reaction score
My 83 handlebar choke lever fell off last night. I went back and found it on the road. I don't know what holds it on. must be a screw, but is there some kind of other piece that goes along with it. Anyone have an exploded diagram?

Schematics can be found at most vendor sites.
The parts you are interested in are 2-5
I believe the screw will be a 6 mm, 8 mm long?
It might be helpful to know Yamaha doesn't refer to it as a choke or enrichener, but call it the starter. So don't be fooled when you read the description and it says starter lever.
It doesn't relate to the electric starter, but the starter circuit of the fuel system
If this isn't helpful I have one packed away (somewhere) I can take pics of.

Attachments

• starter lever.jpg
    starter lever.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 155
My 83 handlebar choke lever fell off last night. I went back and found it on the road. I don't know what holds it on. must be a screw, but is there some kind of other piece that goes along with it. Anyone have an exploded diagram?

Hi Edgewood,
nasty cheap thing, I'm surprised yours lasted this long, mine self-destructed a week after the bike's warranty ran out.
As I remember it there's a screw to hold the lever in place with a large plain washer to provide friction to hold the lever open.
FWIW, the Doherty air/magneto control lever I substituted is still in perfect shape and it came off a derelict Royal Enfield, gotta be at least 50 years old by now.
Still available from Walridge Motors.

Back