Has anyone bought the 18" Front from Mike's?

I've been eyeing these up also, i might buy one, darn spokes are as much as the wheel though.
Dave is that bike in your avatar your ride? what rear wheel is on that bike?

I'm just going to spend the $300+ and give it a try, I'll keep a good photo log of the before and after.

That's a bike I sold 8 years ago, 5 years ago. 1981 XJ550R (Seca) that I made a tailsection, flyscreen and seat for. Flat bottomed the tank as well.

It had a 18" Drum rear.

I run a MikesXS rim on my front - it's the 18" rear rim laced to a Suzuki 4LS hub. Same rim, just different spoke angles.

I've ridden it hard for a few years and had it up to 120 last October, and I'm still here.

I laced it with stainless Buchanan spokes.

IMG_0780.jpg

us129Photo2.jpg

Yup 2.5 I guess up front. 110 rear 100 front avon RoadRider universals.

Next time I'll put a 90 up front to lighten the load a bit. Its a heavy wheel.

Hey Tim is your left side exhaust contacting the road in that last pic?

Anyways nice bike.

Don't want to hijack this thread. My build thread (3+ years long) is over at DO THE TON.com

Yes - there was some contact. I'm working on raising the pipes.

KillBoy1.jpg

sweet photo Tim!

Think there's room for a wider tire in the rear with this setup? I was thinking of doing 18x2.5 front and rear, but trying a 130/70 or 130/80 tire in the rear. Is that possible?

Tim that bike is really bad ass. I'm new to Do The Ton and was unable to find your build thread. Do you have a direct link?

I just bought two black 18 inch rims from Mikes. I'm looking at sending them and the hubs to Buchanans for spokes and to build the wheels, not something I want to tackle myself.

I just bought two black 18 inch rims from Mikes. I'm looking at sending them and the hubs to Buchanans for spokes and to build the wheels, not something I want to tackle myself.

I've got the Rims + Spokes in from Mike's. The hubs and the rims are at the polisher to get them nice and shiny.

I was not happy with the finish of the bare aluminum from Mike's, but it shines up very nicely. Plus I wanted the rim size marks buffed off too.

Then I'll install the new bearings, and get to building the wheels up!

After debating painting my factory high shouldered wheels, I think i am going to go ahead and buy new ones from mikes.

Mine are pretty dogged up and watching plenty of spoking vids & reading. It doesn't seem terribly hard to do. just time consuming.

What are the factory sizerear to order? 1.85 x 18? ( I can't go look at the stamp since my bikes at a buddies shop or I would just look myself.

links for ref.

http://www.mikesxs.net/product/34-0009.html

Back