Have gas and spark... won't start!

TheDeathOfMe

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I have a 1983 Heritage Special that I just can't seem to get fired up. I have good spark on both sides, a good battery (it's new so I'm asuming it's good), I've just rebuilt the carbs (twice!) to make sure they are functional, I checked the wires on the inside of the TCI box for faulty connection, and I cut away the sidestand safety relay. Also I should mention both my wiring harnesses (TCI and Rectifier) were melted pretty bad so I cut them away and soldered everything inline.

Basiclly here's what I get... press the electric start and I here the starter turning, and thats it. Once in a while if I let it sit between trys, I will get some pudder from the motor like it wants to go then it just dies out. I want to also mention the headlight will come on only after those times when I get a small amout of life out of the motor. Also I was able to get it running for about a minute by kick start. Sounded great even for a brief moment:)

I'm not sure whats going on with this. I am a novice at best when it comes to bikes, this is my first go at a build. Any help would be great:banghead:

thats the only way mine will start. 1/4 throttle. Also, took me three clean-outs to get my pal's '71 to idle on its own. Keep at it!!

For carbs try www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf
On the headlight the safety relay once the alternator starts to make electricity it cuts out the starter and turns on the headlight. Try kicking it over with the kick start. Sometimes the starter draws down the battery and it can't deliver enough power for both the starter and ignition.
One good sign is your headlight is coming on. This indicates the alternator is working.
Do you have an oil can with a trigger lever to squirt oil. If so pour out the oil and fill it with gas. With the air cleaners off squirt a pump or two into the carbs. It should fire and run for a bit that way. If it does you have a fuel delivery problem.
Another thought what position do you have the petcock in? On? If so it may not let enough gas through to start the bike. The petcock is vaccum operated. That means the petcock stays closed until the engine runs enough to create the vaccum the petcock needs to open. Try starting in the PRI position. The PRI is a prime position and lets gas flow even without vaccum. Once the bike starts and is running, switch to on. Or resevre if the tank is low.

Also, just 'cuz the battery is new, doesn't mean it's good. And from you trying to start it, and it not running, the battery is draining and is not recharging. Grab a multimeter and check it. It should be at least 12 volts. If not you will need to get a charger, which is a must in my opinion, and charge the battery.

On the battery charger get one with a 1.5 amp or less output, just using your car battery charger at 10 amps will fry your motorcycle battery.

Since you're new to motorcycle carbs, you may have missed cleaning the choke feed jet. If plugged, the choke will not function and the bike will be very hard to start when cold. It's kinda hidden so easily missed if you're not aware of it. It's pressed in place so must be cleaned with compressed air or poked through, sometimes both .....

ChokeJet.jpg

Besides the jet itself plugging, there is an area below it that can load up with crud. You may need to clean that out as well with a pick of some sort.

Back