Headlamp Indicator lights up at higher rpms....

mrpink

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Noticed this last weekend while taking a short day cruise (about 85 miles). My headlamp indicator light would light up when the engine was at say 3000 rpms or higher- seemed to get brighter as the rpms got higher. Everything else is working and running perfectly. Headlamp workes fine, not blinking, not dimming (at least from what I can tell), high beam works fine (light does shut off when you flick the highbeam switch btw.)

Sort of a small annoyance more than anything but I am getting ready to chop it down so I would like to know everything is working properly before I do.

It is an '83 Heritage Special so the headlamp is always on. No mods to the bike other than K&N pods and drag bars.

Any ideas on a cause?

thanks.

p!nK

They do come on when you unplug the headlamp. The headlamp terminals loosen on their own. Take the connector off the headlamp and push the three prongs on the bulb toward each other a little bit to tighten it and see if that helps.

I might check headlight to see if both elements are working. Pull the head light and use your meter to check for continuity through both elements.
The light checker and reserve lighting unit work together so when one beam of the headlight goes out it lights the warning light and lights the unblown beam no matter which position the dimmer switch is in.

Back