Help Deciding on a Bike

BigNick

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm new here, from upstate NY. Coming from the H-D world and am looking for a new project bike -- trying to decide and research what the right bike is for me. I would like a SUPER simple bike, just bare bones... almost like a bicycle with a motor. From what I have read, I guess that most closely resembles the "brat" style??? I am mostly concerned about cc size as I am 5' 11" / 205 and although I live in a rural area, I need to ride on an Interstate to get anywhere as my town is a "one-horse town" on an Interstate exit. It wouldn't be 100's of miles or anything, but I need something that is fairly stable at 65. I like the XS 400, but am concerned it's too small motor wise, so perhaps the 650 is the better choice. I am also concerned about the triple backbone of the 400... I like the looks of the DT fuel tanks on the bikes that I have seen and don't think it would work with the triple backbone. I like the SR 500s too, but they seem to be few and far between in my region. Still trying to learn as I only have knowledge about H-Ds. Any help/advice would be really appreciated.

Great forum here... wealth of information!

Well we all thing you should have an XS650. Not just for what it is but because;
A this group!
B support, among the top five? supported old bikes.
C parts availability
D popularity, there were a lot of these bikes sold a lot of them still running and more waiting to be resurrected.
E customizing options and variety.

F You can either spend the farm and or pay with hay
G Fast enough to kill you slow enough to enjoy each passing mile
H Did someone mention parts??
I They sold over 500,000 of them in 13 years... might be a few lying around
J Motors dont get any simpler than this one
K Modern updates make an already reliable engine.. more reliable

I have done 100mph at somewhere around 6500rpm. At that speed its harder to get a good read of both guages... :laughing: It was vibrating enough to make my vision a little blurry to be honest, but at 70-80mph I have no issues.

I have owned a couple hondas, a harley, a buell, a kawasaki, and a yamaha YSR (when I was 8 yrs old). All but 1 honda and the YSR were 2003 or newer. I love my XS more than all of them put together. Now I have 2 XS's and got my friend into them, and he also owns 2.

easy to work on.
I got my first bike in february. 83 xs650. never even sat on a motorcycle before and I pulled my motor with no help. that may sound like nothing but im still amazed i got it back in and it actually runs. haha...

I'm partial to twin cylinder cycles. I've had a triple (BSA A-75) and a single too (Yammer DT-175) and I own a 4 banger(KZ-650B) and each have good points over the others. You say you live in a rual area. Have you considered a Ural? 750 cc engine. More torque than speed. Sidecar so you can ride in the snow. I had a '74 M-66 with a 650 flat twin and it was barrels of fun and one tough son of a gun. True, you can build a XS-650 to haul a sidecar rig or any other two wheel configuration you want.

I'm more north than north east of Binghamton. I live in a small town about 45 miles north on route 12. About half way to Utica.
If you want we might be able to get together and let you ride one of mine.
I have a 75 with a few mods and a pretty much stock 81.
Leo

Gear it right and the XS can run any speed a sane rider wants to go. Re-geared but mostly stock, my XS is quicker than most Sporsters and can run top end with most hogs. While not the best handling bikes in the world they still handle well if you change the bearings in the neck and the swingarm bushings. Commuting on city streets is easy. I can handle steep mountain grades loaded with camping gear and still run the Interstate until the tank runs dry.

Yamaha says top end is 104 MPH-- they lied. At 104 you are no where near redline.

While it's true that no bike does everything well, the XS comes as close as any bike I've ever ridden.

When anyone gets north of Syracuse we will talk about being "upstate" LOL

:) I know... I have some clients north of NYC and they always say I'm in "Upstate NY"... I kind of crack up as I'm minutes from the PA border and most of NY is above me. I guess anyone living in the city considers anything north of NYC as "upstate". I have family on the St. Lawrence River... that's what I consider "upstate"!

Thanks for all the comments and advice, I appreciate it. I'll post once my search is complete... I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions.

Back