Help ID my front wheel for new bearings

EvenmoreXS

1981 XS650
Reaction score
If possible, could someone identify which bearings I need for my front wheel.... If I have to, I'll take it off and measure them, but Id rather ride while I wait for them to come. Its a dual disk front. 19 inch. Frame is an 81. Forks are from an 80 model. Any help would be appreciated.

Looking for all balls bearing kit...If possible , please provide a part # for the correct kit.

Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• 20140622_142708.jpg
    20140622_142708.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 20140622_215626.jpg
    20140622_215626.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 87
Take a look on the MikesXS site in the wheel section, they have a chart. All front wheels from '74 on up, both spoke and mag, used the same bearings (2 @ 6303-2RS). These are common metric bearings and can be had locally. The grease seals in the wheel can be reused if pried out carefully. In fact, you may not need to pry them out at all. Driving the old bearing out will push the grease seal out with it. Take notes or better yet, pics, of how deep the bearings and seals are installed now for reference during re-assembly.

But I have to ask, why do you think you need new bearings? Have you checked your current ones? These rarely wear out. I check and re-grease the ones in wheels I get, very rarely need to replace any.

Thanks for the info 5twins. I thought that would work, but I read a thread earlier that was stating I needed to remove the bearings and measure them first, which I can do, but it sounded a bit un necessary if I am able to verify my wheel.

The reason is because, as i mentioned in another thread you've seen, my front wheel was a little hesitant to roll as well as I thought it should. After getting things back together and back on the ground I rolled her around and she felt about the same as before the fork replacement. The resistance didnt appear to be the disk anymore,..to me anyway... due to the moaning sound I was getting as I rolled....I've read thats a possible sign of bearing wear... I think my original assesment of my calipers was wrong,..I think now I've needed new front bearings because I remember a slight moaning sound when I would back into a parking space....or whenever I was slowly walking the bike with the engine off...I couldn't hear it with her running. It isnt bad but I had associated it with normal old bike sounds....

But after having her on the lift and spinning the wheel and listening....and rolling her around on the ground....Im pretty sure the resistance is coming from the bearings. I still get that little moan as she rolls slowly.

See video of my rear wheel spin....Its sweet.

I know the front wont roll this nice, but I know it can roll better.

Are the original bearings cleanable and replaceable with new grease....? I just assume replace them for the cost...they arent expensive. Unless OEM is better quality..

Remove the wheel, stick a finger in the bearings and turn them. Do they spin OK with no binding or roughness? If so then they're fine. Also check for excess play between the inner and outer races. Is the inner wobbling around inside the outer?

I don't bother cleaning the old grease out unless it's all lumpy and hardened up. I just add some more fresh grease. Only add to the outer side, filling the bearing maybe half way at most. Much more than that will just ooze out and make a mess when it gets hot. You can, obviously, service the bearing without removing them. You will need to take the grease seals out so you can pop the rubber seal off the bearing. A little sharp pocket knife will stick down in between the seal's outer edge and the outer race and pop it out.

To remove the grease seals without damage, get one of these little pry bars. Stick the hooked end under the seal between it and the bearing and gently pry the seal up. Work all the way around lifting it a little bit and evenly .....

MiniPryBar-1.jpg

For greasing the bearings, I use a needle point attachment for my grease gun. This allows you to inject a little grease between all the balls .....

NeedleAttachment.jpg

Back