Help me figure out this issue

davenu

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
83 xs650 -- Its happened about three times in past few months driving along bikes starts to stall I give it gas and seems to help but then soon as I let off the gas the bike just dies and takes about 15 to 20 kicks to get it started. Seems like its running out of gas but there is gas in the tank. Once I get it restarted it runs fine.. otherwise the bike runs great except for this issue that happens randomly. ANy thoughts on what it can possibly be?

Quick thoughts......check fuel tank vent
does it happen sooner with a full tank?
Check fuel filters.....petcock screen?, reserve tube screen? Valve needle assembly has a screen that can get over looked...

Does the TCI box, stator wires, connectors etc get hot?

Next time it happens, open the gas cap. Did you hear a "whoosh" sound? If so then yes, the vent is plugged.

I just looked at the gas cap cant tell where the vents are can someone please post a pic showing where they are located??

What happens if you try to choke it when it does that?? If it helps lack of fuel if it hurts to much fuel and is flooding

The vent isn't in the top of the cap anywhere, it's in the bottom spring loaded section that seals over the tank opening when you close the cap. Google "XS650 Gas Cap", plenty of pics will come up. Vent hole location can vary depending on the year. Some have it right in the center, some off to the side. It doesn't go straight up through, it routes over to the side and in a round about way eventually vents out the top of the spring loaded part. You may need to disassemble the cap to clear it.

Thanks-here is the cap I am going to take it apart gonna order new gasket

IMO. It'd be best to confirm the problem before throwing parts at it. Do as the above suggest and let it happen again, open tank and see if you hear a vacuum of air gush. Then ride, carefully, with the tank open, cap loose, and confirm.

Once you diagnose it you'll be comfortable riding without break downs in the future.

Posted via Mobile

Thanks-here is the cap I am going to take it apart gonna order new gasket - - -

Hi davenu,
good thought about the gasket, I mean, would you ride on tires that looked like that?
If you haven't taken a gas cap apart before, those 3 screws are a false friend.
You have to remove the key block and then slide the complete innards out to get at the single snap ring that holds the gasket's mandrel in place.
Once the cap is apart you can inspect the cap filter.

Took it apart and did see a little piece of old disenagrated foam in the vent tube used some simple green and Q-tips cleaned it up put new gasket on and had to use GI-Joe kungfu death grip to put the c-clip back on that was the hardest part..... I will take it out for a ride tomorrow hopefully that was the issue. Thanks for the advice guys!

I had the same issue, I would just open the gas cap when riding for long-ish distances. Don't judge me.

83 xs650 -- Its happened about three times in past few months driving along bikes starts to stall I give it gas and seems to help but then soon as I let off the gas the bike just dies and takes about 15 to 20 kicks to get it started. Seems like its running out of gas but there is gas in the tank. Once I get it restarted it runs fine.. otherwise the bike runs great except for this issue that happens randomly. ANy thoughts on what it can possibly be?

Hmmm... if the gas/venting issue doesn't solve it... you may want to check your charging system. I had the same thing happen to me (on my '78 standard) back in the day... would ride great...and randomly, it would die on me. I'd have to pull over, kick it over 15-20 times, and finally it would start up and run great again. Turned out that my battery would get drained, and after getting so low on juice it would finally stall the bike out. Waiting for the battery to charge back up was the reason it took that many kicks...I could have probably just waited and saved myself the effort and sweat (especially in the blazing sun all in leathers, etc...lol).

At any rate, you may want to check the charging system if it continues.

Good luck.

Hmmm... if the gas/venting issue doesn't solve it... you may want to check your charging system. I had the same thing happen to me (on my '78 standard) back in the day... would ride great...and randomly, it would die on me. I'd have to pull over, kick it over 15-20 times, and finally it would start up and run great again. Turned out that my battery would get drained, and after getting so low on juice it would finally stall the bike out. Waiting for the battery to charge back up was the reason it took that many kicks...I could have probably just waited and saved myself the effort and sweat (especially in the blazing sun all in leathers, etc...lol).

At any rate, you may want to check the charging system if it continues.

Good luck.

That's why I recommend everyone to install a voltmeter on their bike.

Back