Help Needed

Kingpaul

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys.. really struggling getting a spark, just got a brand new coil today is i thought that was the problem. And still no spark. I've got 4.2 ohms going in which is just right.
I've got power coming from my stator (generator)

I think my Ignition unit needed wiring up better could that be the problem?

could anyone point out stuff to check for?
or useful threads??

Thanks

If you have an 81 it comes stock with the TCI ignition. It uses a 2.5 ohm coil. The 4.2 will be ok with pints but not right for the TCI.
I might check for voltage at the red/white wire at the coil and TCI box, it's under the battery box.
Both should have battery voltage.
Oh, one more thing, in your repair manual there is a section on testing the ignition system. In the Clymer book, page 196. 80 up ignitions.
Leo

If you have an 81 it comes stock with the TCI ignition. It uses a 2.5 ohm coil. The 4.2 will be ok with pints but not right for the TCI.
I might check for voltage at the red/white wire at the coil and TCI box, it's under the battery box.
Both should have battery voltage.
Oh, one more thing, in your repair manual there is a section on testing the ignition system. In the Clymer book, page 196. 80 up ignitions.
Leo
If I have an EMGO coil with one Black (-) and one yellow (+) how do I make that work with my xs650 where the coil I had was one RED/WHITE and one Orange?

any suggestions?

Ok, Yes you need a 2.5 ohm coil to work with the stock TCI.
You can get one from Mike's XS, 650central, Ebay.
All these coils are dual output coils. That means the primary side is not polarity sensitive, so the wires can hook any way you like, as long as one goes to power and the other to the ignition.
Leo

My coil has no output that's why I need one, the emgo coil doesn't have output either,

Hi Kp,
if you mean that you can't get an Ohm reading on either coil it's most likely you ain't doing it right.
Alternatively, if you mean that neither coil will spark when hooked up to the ignition system on the bike it's most likely that something else is wrong.

Back