Help noob with advice on Brass Fuel-T from MikesXS

MOSFET

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Kustas, and I'm a XS650 noob. I am reassembling a '79 XS, which my brother took apart.

The problem:

After changing the diaphragms and float bowl gaskets and reassembling the carburetor (Mikuni BS34), I noticed that the original fuel line T was leaking fuel on one side where it entered the carburetor. I decided to order a new T from MikesXS named 'Brass Carb Fuel Line T-Piece'.

This is what it looks like:

WP_20140530_003_zpsc676f23c.jpg

The question:

How do you install the new T? As the original piece did not have any O-rings, I decided to try and install the new piece also without the O-rings that came with the new T. Well, I had no luck, since it started leaking right away from where the T enters the carburetor. So I decided to install the new T with the O-rings. I pushed the O-rings inside the carburetor holes first, and then pushed the T in between the carburetors (and O-rings). This is where I started to get confused, because now with the O-rings in the way, I guess the T did not slip into place properly. Not only did the new O-rings make the carburetors sit a bit too wide (away from each other, so I had trouble putting back the brackets), both sides of the T, where they entered the carbs started leaking.

I installed it like this:

WP_20140530_002_zps797a5427.jpg

WP_20140530_006_zps788603bf.jpg

Comparison to the original piece

WP_20140530_004_zps40faa7e5.jpg

Is there some kind of sealant available that I can use to stop the leaking, or am I doing it all wrong? I don't have any experience with this type of work, nor do I have anybody to turn to either. Hope somebody here can give me advice on how to fix this old girl.

Thank you

The trick to installing any of these is to clamp the carbs together against the "T", just tight enough so the "T" can't be rotated by hand, then install and tighten the brackets .....

Fuel-T-Install.jpg

Your original "T" still looks to be in good shape. As long as the rubber coating on the ends is still intact, it should seal back up if mounted using this clamping method.

I personally have had bad experience with Mikes fuel tee. To call it crap would be a overwhelming compliment...imho...

oldskool carbs provided me with a very nice tee with orings that worked perfect from day one.......Im way past day one now and still awesome....

SOMEONE CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG ABOUT OLDSKOOL CARBS.....I THINK I SAW SOMEONE ELSE OF A SIMILAR NAME BUT NOT QUITE THE REPUTATION.

IF IM RIGHT I CAN VOUCH FOR THE GENTLEMAN...

5twins, thanks, I did it the way you suggested (why didn't I think of this, duh :) ) using the original "T", and the leaking stopped. The hell with this MikesXS crap.

I guess this is how you learn then - by throwing €'s into the wind :bike:

Cheerio!

5twins, thanks, I did it the way you suggested (why didn't I think of this, duh :) ) using the original "T", and the leaking stopped. The hell with this MikesXS crap.

I guess this is how you learn then - by throwing €'s into the wind :bike:

Cheerio!

Sometimes you have to spend a buck to learn something....stinks but its true....you tend to remember those very well though....wont make that mistake twice....

IF you can reuse the oem stuff, its probalby better than a lot of the current stuff on the market......theres always exceptions of course.....Pamco comes to mind :thumbsup:

better than tci for sure.

good job!

Is one of the problems with the brass T the weld between the tubes? Mine looks pretty suspect.

I think its the stupid rubber seals at the ends of the barbs...Mine NEVER worked at all. They dont seal properly. I think its a bad design. IMHO.

I think its the stupid rubber seals at the ends of the barbs...Mine NEVER worked at all. They dont seal properly. I think its a bad design. IMHO.
Sure I was already planning to use the fuel line fix pamcopete suggested but I was wondering what other problems this brass T has. My stock T would need stripped back and modified anyway.

There is a guy, from montana I think making very nice tees for various bikes selling them on ebay, we talked about his making the correct XS650 tee I got him all the measurements but he kinda dropped out of the plan. I'll go message him again.

His tees look like this.

$_57.jpg

Be a market for them for sure.

My original bs34 t was loose, i cut a grove between the 2 raised pieces on each end and got a fuel resistant o ring, popped it on and seems to be ok so far.

I checked with the e-bayer from Montana he is waiting on a round tuit. I think he will make some up this summer?? I might buy 5 or 10 from him and offer them up on the board.

Back