Help Starting

atomic22

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello all
I need some help and I am very frustrated :(
I installed the PMA and a Pamco ignition system. I got the bike started and was running, I haven't adjusted the timing, because I wanted to redo all the wiring. I set out taking out all the wiring related to the electric start, because I just want kick only. Now I can't get the #$% started. :banghead:

I took out the safety relay, the clutch cable is unplugged from the wringing harness, the starter motor is ungrounded.

I have followed the voltage all the way to the Pamco and at the red wire leading soldered to the circuit board their is proper voltage. Then I check the voltage going to the coil, the red wire has voltage going into the coil. I then connected the red lead off the volt meter to the red (hot) wire and the black lead to the green wire from the coil and there is again the same voltage at the battery.

View attachment 1767I have been using the attached diagram to try and simplify everything and I still can't get the bike to turn over. :(

I am so darn frustrated, I thought I had everything done and now nothing. I don't know if I took too much off? But according to the diagram it should just work with the bare minimum wiring...correct?

Can Pete or someone else please tell me what to check? I don't know if I'm getting a spark at the plugs, because I don't know how to check that.

Please help, I am so sick of sweating to death trying to get it fired up.

UPDATE:
Pamcopete is going to look at my stuff. What a great guy, he immediately responded to my emails and said he would help me out.

On another topic, the POS advance rod I got from MikesXS broke in my hand. I was tightening the nut on the advance side with my fingers and the thread just round off. I couldn't beleive it.
So, are there other years of XS that have advance rods that I could pick out of any year engine? There is a salvage yard near me with engines, can I just pull one out. I haven't heard back from Mikes yet...

Hey man that wiring schematic will only run till the battery is dead... is the battery dead? 1979 and before have advance rods.

I only ask b/c that's my schematic I made to test the ignition separate from the homemade charging system.

Thanks for the reply. No battery is fully charged. Pete is going to take a look at it for me. Thanks for the info on the advance rod.

Back