Help with my XS2 clutch

Stone Hands

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone lend some advise on my problem. I have a xs2 which as set for a year or more. Engine work. Now she fires up and sounds great but when I pull in the clutch and tap into 1st, its like the clutch is not engaged at all. Bike lurches and dies. I have adjusted the clutch cable and side nut to specs. Played with different amounts of back out. Nothing seems to help. It acts like the clutch is not engaging. Could it be stuck or seized due to non use? If so, can it be jarred lose without damage or do I have to take the right case cover off and dig into the clutch plates?

Help please. Want to ride.

Sounds like the clutch plates are stuck together. That can happen if a bike sits for a long time. Pull the clutch in and start kicking. The motor will spin as long as the plates are still stuck. Once they break free, the kicker will just push down without spinning the motor. This usually works but may take a bunch of kicks (like 20). If it's not succeeding, my next step would be to push the bike, pull in the clutch, and drop it into gear. This bigger "shock" will have more effect than just kicking. If none of this works, last step would be a tear down.

Back