Help with ultra simple wiring setuphio

I'm getting ready to do the same thing on my 81 Special II. So, all of the relays, safety switches and reserve lighting unit can be ditched? I'm planning on just running the bare necessities, (headlight, tail/brake & electric start).

Thanks

I'm thinking that if one doesn't use the starter run-on safety relay, then it's really important to make sure you have a good starter button, that isn't gonna stick making contact, causing the starter to activate while the engine is already running.
Is that right?

Ya, you need to learn how to quickly let go of the button when the engine starts. And keep your thumb away when riding. I just got rid of mine, so now I have to worry about stalling.

ok I am going to throw my question in here since I can't seem to find the answer already stated. ... I have an 82 with the 7 wire tci plug the white/blk wire that went to the kickstand relay? do I just cap that one off or does it need something run to it? I assume looking at the diagrams I just cap it but want to be sure.

I have an '81 and my bk/wh is for the pick-up. I need all the wires coming from the ignition.
I see what you are talking about though on an '82. I capped my L/Y (blue) out of the stator/rotor cuz it goes to the safety relay. The yellow out of the stator/rotor is also capped cuz it goes to the safety relay.
So I would say you can just cap it. Although you need to do something with the r/w coming out of the side-stand relay where it meets the r/w going to the coil if you are omitting the side-stand relay. You can cap this, but be aware that one r/w goes to the key and the other the coil, so be cognizent of this.

Last edited:
I have bk/wh, wh/rd, wh/grn from pickup ... also have a wh/bk that went to the kickstand relay ... just need to know if I am reading the diagrams right

You need the b/w from the pick-up to the ignition unit. It looks to me you can get rid of the side stand switch and relay altogether, just remember that r/w out of the side stand relay!

Ya, there are 2 b/w. You need the pick up one.

ok I am going to throw my question in here since I can't seem to find the answer already stated. ... I have an 82 with the 7 wire tci plug the white/blk wire that went to the kickstand relay? do I just cap that one off or does it need something run to it? I assume looking at the diagrams I just cap it but want to be sure.

yes just cap off the extra B/W

I didn't know that was your diagram jayel. I saw it, liked it and knabbed it. I'll give you credit for it from now on.

Back