Help with ultra simple wiring setuphio

maxpower3

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got an '82 xs650 that I've been modifying for awhile. I'm finally at the part of the build I dreaded all along -- wiring. I'm ashamed to say that I know ZERO about wiring.

I'm looking at running a super simple setup with only the basics. Headlight, taillight, kick start, speedo (does that require power?). I've already done a fair amount of researching (this thread is great: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61), but I'm still not sure which diagram suits my needs. I know everyone says to use what you need and disregard the rest, but I was wondering if anyone had a wiring diagram that fit exactly what I'm going for.

Thanks in advance for any help.

EDIT: I have no idea whay the thread title says 'setuphio.' I don't know how to edit it out either.

Last edited:
The second one, the black and white one, is pretty much what you need, and it's the easiest of all of them to read. Print it out and when you make a connection mark it out with highlighter or something. Pretty easy. If you want to add instrument lights just connect them to either the blue or brown coming off the ignition switch. Same with a horn. If you want turn signals you can use that part of the circuit from any of the other diagrams that has them. If you do that, it would be good to draw it onto the b&w diagram so you'll remember how it went.

Setuphio was an Iroquois chief and Travis' house happens to be built on top of his grave. Probably just a coincidence.

Last edited:
Thanks man. But just to be sure -- this one, right?

Attachments

• 650wiringchoppervh0.jpg
    650wiringchoppervh0.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 149
I did this exact wiring last weekend. Extremely simple. I also added turn signals by just following the original diagram. Took me 2 days and I have never done a harness before. Just follow it exactly and you'll be fine. I suggest shortening the reg/rec wires as it has a lot left over. http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5200
Also, put in a kill switch!

Attachments

• 650wiringchoppervh0.jpg
    650wiringchoppervh0.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 106
I did this exact wiring last weekend. Extremely simple. I also added turn signals by just following the original diagram. Took me 2 days and I have never done a harness before. Just follow it exactly and you'll be fine. I suggest shortening the reg/rec wires as it has a lot left over. http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5200
Also, put in a kill switch!

Thanks. Again, when I said I was ignorant with wiring, I wasn't kidding, so i doubt I'll be done in two days. I don't really even know the basics of wiring.

learn to solder....use hear shrink. If you have any couplers use die-electric grease. Avoid butt connectors. A good set of grounds to the frame and engine are essential. Take tape and wrap the whole harness after like the factory one.

I never wired before either. Take your time and trace, trace, trace!!!!! Go thru 10 times to make sure it's the correct wire. I cut all the harness covering off to expose every inch of the wire. I'm glad I did too. Some of the original wires are just kinda clipped on to each other and then electrical taped...from the factory!! No solder. Lots of corrosion too. I feel like I just took a shower and put clean clothes on now that my wiring is cleaned up.
Put a good fuse box on too. The diagram only has a fuse for the hot from the battery, but seperate the brakes and signals, ect. If you're in there, do it right and once.

Note: There are wires that come out of the reg/rec and go to a 8 blade spade type connector. There are also wires from ignition to a connector. Don't shorten the wires from these units to the connectors. Keep them intact and shorten the wires from the reg/rec connector to the stator/rotor connector. It's basically 2 connectors joined by just wires. If you look you'll see what I mean.
Unless you are going to properly shorten wires and put them back into a connector (6-8 blade) don't do it. Try not to cheese out on this. It's always good to shorten wires that go from a connector to another connector. Not from a unit to a connector.

I haven't actually started wiring yet, but I think I've managed to isolate all the electrical parts I'll need for this. I attached a picture showing all the electrical parts I've got, but I'm not sure what some of them are. I know what the rectifier, electronic ignition, and coil are (and they're marked with tape), but I'm not exactly sure what the other parts are -- anyone care to help?

One of the pictures here is of the wiring harness that I'm replacing. The harness has all of the connectors I'll need, so is it a good idea to rob that old harness of those connectors and start fresh with the actual wiring? And if so, how do you get the wiring out of the connectors? I tried messing around with a screwdriver, but I didn't want to break anything.

Also, the diagram up a few posts mentions a rotor, stator, pickup, rectifier, electronic ignition, and coil. I've marked the rectifier, electronic ignition, and the coil, and I know the rotor and stator are on the bike, but where is the pickup? I can't seem to find a picture anywhere online.

Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• P1010900.jpg
    P1010900.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 138
  • P1010901.jpg
    P1010901.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 88
the pickup is mounted on the stator. keep the coil, TCI, and rec/reg, and ditch(sell) the rest.

the pickup is mounted on the stator. keep the coil, TCI, and rec/reg, and ditch(sell) the rest.

also keep the key switch (or a replacement) ... and if you are using the electric start (I can't remember if you said you are or not) the solenoid (right side of picture kinda yellowish gold color)

Thanks for the replies. Can I re-use the connectors in the old harness, or do I need new ones?

In your pic the top row are the reg/rec, the coil and the TCI box. you need those. In the second row the key switch is a good idea. With no starter or turn signals the rest is not used.
On your diagram, it's a good basic diagram. Littlebill has a few good ideas. The kill switch is a good one. He also metioned shortening the wires from the reg/rec to the stator. On mine I set it up so the stator wire plug right into the reg/rec wires.
I would add a few more fuses if I was doing it. After the key switch run power to a fuse block that uses blade type fuses. Hook the head/tail light on one fuse, the brake light and horn to one fuse, the ignition to another. The main fuse should be a 20 amp fuse, the others can be 10 amp. This way if a fuse blows you can just look in the circuit the fuse is for the find the problem. With just one fuse you have to work on the whole electrics to find whats wrong.
The TCI pickups on the stator is the black oval shaped box on the upper part of the stator. the stuff at the front and center are the brushes. Stripping the wires out of the old harness will get you most of what you need for wires. If the connectors are even a bit shabby, getting new is a good thing.
I like this diagram too. It shows the basics plus a few options. The way the fuses are set up is a good way. Having the lights in the tach/speedo light up when the lights are on is handy if you ride after dark.

Attachments

• 314w9s3.jpg
    314w9s3.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
could someone please look at this one I altered (attached), which is based on the one XSLeo posted? I made it for only combined reg rec and single type coil. (i.e. got rid of the extra boxes) and also extended the yellow wire from starter safety switch back to alternator.

Question: what would that look like if the safety switch were deleted? where would the yellow wire go then?

What I'd like to see is this diagram, but without the safety switch and with the key switch shown a bit more concretely.

Also If this (the diagram I am posting is now WRONG, please let me know so I can get it off of here and delete)

I feel like I want to work from this diagram, but I am not including the safety switch.

thanks, and also good luck to the OP - I look forward to hearing how it came out; I'm just about at this point myself.

thx

that is my drawing so I'll explain it a bit:laugh: the yellow is capped off TO eliminate the safety switch the key switch is a simple on/off since the circuit uses a starter button, here it is drawn out like what you are saying you want, after eliminating the safety switch the blue white wire from the start button goes direct to the starter solenoid but if you keep the E-start it only makes sense to keep the starter safety switch, if you go kick only the start button and solenoid/starter motor goes away

Attachments

• chopper wiring.PNG
    chopper wiring.PNG
    30.2 KB · Views: 103
that is my drawing so I'll explain it a bit:laugh: the yellow is capped off TO eliminate the safety switch the key switch is a simple on/off since the circuit uses a starter button, here it is drawn out like what you are saying you want, after eliminating the safety switch the blue white wire from the start button goes direct to the starter solenoid but if you keep the E-start it only makes sense to keep the starter safety switch, if you go kick only the start button and solenoid/starter motor goes away

thanks!
:)
am deleting my previous post now, so no one mistakenly tries to use what I diagrammed.
thx again.

Back