High RPM stumble ????

njason99

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
HELP!!!

I have a 77 xs650 w/ pamco ignition, PMA charging system (no battery just a capacitor), open 1.5" exhaust, vm34's and velocity stacks (I have forgotten the jetting specs but they were purchased from 650 central and I have not changed jetting).. besides these parts the motor is completely stock.

The bike will idle ok, rev great, accelerate from low speed and low rpm great. The problem starts at higher speed and rpm. I can accelerate from a dead stop up into higher rpms great but when I try to sustain 65-70 mph the engine begins to stumble pretty bad. I do not have a tach so I'm not sure what RPM this occurs but I would assume this is around 4500.

I have synced the carbs but that didn't help at all. Not until this morning on my way to work did I realize that if I hold the engine RPM in this range for a while and just let it stumble the left side carb will get cold to the touch. After I slow down and the engine begins to run smooth again the carb will warm back up. I assume this means the carb is getting too rich but why only the left side??? I'm lost on what would be causing this problem so any help on jetting specs or any similar problems would be greatly appreciated.

njason99,

Well, you know the old saying. 90% of carb problems are electrical, so to get that possibility out of the way, I would suggest that you somehow install a battery and run it with the PMA disconnected, including the capacitor.

Thanks for the reply Pamcopete. I will do that to make sure that it is in fact a carb issue and not an issue with the charging system.

Back