83 Yamaha XS 650 Misfiring in low rpm.

locomoto

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi:
I have a 1983 Yamaha XS650 Heritage Special. The motorcycle ran perfectly for years, and after being stopped for a month it began to fail, producing misfiring in low RPM, in the left exhaust pipe only. This is when the motorcycle is stopping at a traffic light for example. Once at speed the problem disappears. I have replaced the spark plugs and their cables, the coil, the fuel petcock, and I have cleaned the carburator with Seafoam motor treatment, several times, without disassembling it. The problem continues. Any advice to solve this problem? Thanks.

I believe you have a electronic stock ignition
I believe this is a waste spark system firing both cylinders at the same time.
I would look into switching the left to right and right to left ignition Wires

Se if the misfiring follows the shift getting misfire on right side afterwards.

Sounds like your pilot jet/circuit. Sea foam won’t make a difference on that tiny rascal. Gotta get in there, happy hunting.

I believe you can adress this without removing the carbs. Drop the float bowls for access. Be very carefull removing your pilots so as not to narf them up.

Hi:
I have a 1983 Yamaha XS650 Heritage Special. The motorcycle ran perfectly for years, and after being stopped for a month it began to fail, producing misfiring in low RPM, in the left exhaust pipe only. This is when the motorcycle is stopping at a traffic light for example. Once at speed the problem disappears. I have replaced the spark plugs and their cables, the coil, the fuel petcock, and I have cleaned the carburator with Seafoam motor treatment, several times, without disassembling it. The problem continues. Any advice to solve this problem? Thanks.

Sounds like you have a tiny speck of something in the pilot jet. Clean the pilot circuit thoroughly with carb cleaner and compressed air.

Back