homemade carb sync ?

Racer Dave,

I put 150 mikuni jets in my two lines. Worked great for dampers.

Just happened to have two that I wasn't using. Suspect anything around that size would work.

I used Bardahl VBA straight up for a fluid. It's an oil we used years ago for racing two-strokes with 20:1 gas/oil mix.

If it digest any of this oil, no harm no foul. Just smoke. Then, just re-fill your gauge line and try again.

Hasn't happened yet!!! But have been very close.

Anyway, it makes a great gauge and very sensitive.

Last edited:
I still have a old red PCCC 4 tube merc carb stix, from my KZ,GPZ,GS,CB days. Have not touched it in 15 years.I've had it since maybe the late 70's? Does mercury evaporate?

I don't think so. I still have an old original Carb Stix with mercury in it. Still works fine, just used it last week in fact.

I don't know what the consistency of fuel injection cleaner is but my guess is it's very thin, like water. You want to use something thick. Most use ATF but some go with two stroke oil which is even thicker.

racerdave, gday! no thats the step i missed, i did not use a dampener...dont quite get that bit. Brian902 says hes used spare jets but im not seeing how they dont just fall to the bottom of the clear tubing and therefor becoming useless??
i really want to sync these things n go for a ride, stick with me please..cheers

fuel injector cleaner is what i used and yes it was very thin...my first attempt was some 'small engine' oil i had which was red but so thick it didnt settle it the tube and couldnt get rid of air pockets.

I'm talking this size hex jet and it's a tough push to get it into the clear tubing that fits it.

I have 5 feet of small, approx 1/8" inside diameter tubing, the larger tubing with the jet, and then another 5 foot length of clear 1/8.

The large tubing with the jet is a tight fit over the 1/8 tubing.

Any two-stroke mix oil is a good viscosity and will not hurt the engine if digested.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Hex Jets.jpg
    Hex Jets.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
I used a couple of small plastic inline fuel valves as dampers: from the local mower shop as I recall. Works well. Also 2 stroke oil in the tubing. Have used this setup on my G'wing for the last ? years.
Mikeyrx

Yes: those look like the ones. Aquarium filter line valves would be great and I probably would have used them if I could have sourced them locally. Actually anything that will restrict the airflow will work, whether a valve or a main jet, or even a clamp of some sort on the lines. I used 2 stroke oil for 2 reasons: it was a nice color, and it wont hurt anything if its sucked through the carbs.
Mikeyrx

ok..well the tube size im using is a perfect snug fit to the barb, sooo, ill go with auto trans fluid instead of thin injector cleaner...bang a jet down each end close to the barbs to rescrict air flow & see what happens??? lesser vacuum & heavier oil grade. will report back.

Last edited:
gday jdizon, mate would u snap some pix of your rig, im not sure what the brass bits are or how u used those along with the plastic plugs.
Seeing as you have a working setup itd help me a lot. cheers

My tubing says 3/16 ID x 5/16 OD Food Grade, purchased at a Automotive store. In other words, it's not gas line grade.

Red and Green shrink tube was just an idea to identify the left and right tube. I know too much time on my hands and way too much over thinking.

10' loop for the fluid and the second 10' piece cut in half to add 5' to each length. At the joint is where the jets go.

Other clear tubing is very tight on the 5/16 OD. Stuff I had laying around and the jets fit inside this tubing very snug.

I like the jet idea because I know each are identical in size. Turning a valve leaves one open more than the other, perhaps it doesn't make that much difference.

A few holes in the yard stick to hold the tubing and you can use wire ties, bag ties or simple copper wire to hold the tubing onto the stick.

You will find they are extremely sensitive when adjusting carbs with separate cables like round slide VM Mikunis. Way more so than mercury tubes.

Attachments

• DSC00229.jpg
    DSC00229.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 378
  • DSC00228.jpg
    DSC00228.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 380
  • DSC00227.jpg
    DSC00227.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 355
  • DSC00230.jpg
    DSC00230.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 345
  • DSC00231.jpg
    DSC00231.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 360
  • DSC00232.jpg
    DSC00232.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 347
  • DSC00233.jpg
    DSC00233.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 368
  • DSC00234.jpg
    DSC00234.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 369
Last edited:
Youre the man Brian! a pictures worth a thousand words as they say. ive got a ton of xs650 carbs laying around, think any of hem would have suitable jets? cheers pal

Yes, it vaporizes at ambient temperatures. With light of the right wavelength (can't remember exactly what) shined across the top of an open beaker of mercury against a reflective surface, you can see the shadows of the fumes - I saw this on a field trip when studying Industrial Hygiene in 1971. Mercury vapors caused madness in workers in the felt hat industry in the old days - that is the origin of the phrase "mad as a hatter".

Back