How bad is the electric starter?

KeithB

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am considering installing the electric starter on the 650 but it has come to my attention that a lot of you say it sucks.
Just how bad is it and is it something I should leave in the parts bin?
I have worked with a starter on an 85 Virago. Same kind of issues?
Using the kick now but if I install rear sets it will become a problem.
Perhaps a different kick leaver?

The 650 starter on 74 on up bikes is fine. Any issues are well documented and are mostly fixed at low or no cost. Completely different than the virago starter and it's issues. Been there done that.

You can find starters easy enough. Rebuilding can be done. Often the starters fail from oil leaking into the starter.
KeithB, did you remove the starter? If so did you remove all the inner gears and shafts?
If the inner parts are removed then you will need to split the cases to replace them. If they are still in place then putting the starter back on is simple.
I replaced the spring clip with a new one, tightened the return spring and it cranks my 750 just fine. No grinding on engaging, no grinding after starting.
I also adjusted my safety relay. It should activate when the voltage on the yellow wire reaches 2.5 volts. They often don't until 4.5 volts or more. If it activates at the higher voltage it tends to stay running after the engine starts.

Completely different than the virago starter and it's issues. Been there done that.

Not having worked on either one, I'm not sure of that. :) They both grind and squeezing the wishbone spring is supposed to fix them both.

A SR500 kicker cleared the rearsets I had on a previous bike....My electric starter works just like Pyroman's....but then my battery is only .8 amp hours. Couldnt run a starter with that!

Last edited:
Funny this topic came up. I rarely use my electric starter. One kick and I'm rollin', but the other day, as I do sometimes, I pressed the button. Starter tried to turn over then made a buz noise and nothing. It used to work fine, well it took a couple turns then the engine fired, but nothing now. Guess it's done and needs some attention.

KeithB, did you remove the starter? If so did you remove all the inner gears and shafts?
Bike came with the starter removed but the PO gave me the gears and bits and I bought a starter from someone here.
If the inner parts are removed then you will need to split the cases to replace them.
Crap! I hope that's not the case as there is no way it makes sense to crack open the block to install parts. Engine was done before I bought the bike.
Soooo...maybe a different kick lever will do. I need to rough in the rear set parts and see about clearances.

Was there a rod about 6 inches long and splined about 1/2 inch on each end among the parts the PO gave you? If not then the internals that you need to split the cases for may still be installed.
Inxs has a write up on XS650 electric start system in the tech section. There are pics showing how the parts go. In the second pic part 12, the gear is the part you have to split the case to install. It drops in from inside, then the shaft slides in from the right to hold the gear in place. A small gear and plate hold the shaft in place.
If these are in place installing the rest is just a matter of putting them in.

Last edited:
Just a thought, when I first got the bike running the starter was terrible, barely usable. In the process of restoring the bike I converted to a Pamco ignition with aftermarket coil of course and also replaced most of my alternator charging system (everything except the stator). Guess what - the starter works very well now, so well that I only occassionally use the kick starter.

Sparklow, it sounds like a weak charging system was not keeping your battery charged. A poorly charged battery won't power the starter.

I think I have about 6-9 Starters just sitting around the shop holding down various papers and such... They all "worked" but the kicker works too, so off they came...

Back