how do i wire hi/low beam harley switch to 1980 xs650 harness

kstinson1977

XS650 Member
Reaction score
im building a chopper with an 1980 xs 650 and a hd front end i am just about done with the wiring and have 2 wires left to conect blue/yellow and blue/green they come from the reserve lighting unit and would normally go to the hi/low beam switch but my harley hi/low swith only has 3 wires 1 low to headlight and 1 high to headlight which leaves a power supply coming in i hooked that one to the brown so it will have power when the key is on where can i hook or splice the blue/yellow and blue/green wires so that the RLU still operates as usual thanks kevin

PS i dont want to remove it unless i have to any ideas or directions would be great ....

There might be a way of doing that but why? Keep the wiring simple and you will much happier. The RLU is 30+ year old technology. Do you know if the resistor under the tank is good? Mine turned to dust many years ago on my 77. If that's bad it won't work anyway. Take the RLU and throw it away. You don't want to be the only guy on the planet with a RLU on your "chopper" do you?

That RLU is just such a waste of wire. I did try to help over at the garage.

Last edited:
Connect the blue/yellow to the dimmer switch power input. You won't use the blue/green with the HD switch.

The RLU should get its power feed from the blue/black wire, which comes from the safety relay.

However, for the RLU to actually have the designed switching function, the dimmer switch needs to have the stock 6 terminals/wires. With a HD 3 terminal switch, there's no way for the RLU to switch over the headlight.

Some guys connect the blue/black to the blue/yellow at the RLU in order to by-pass the RLU completely.

That blue/green looks like it's tied into the green low beam circuit. I suggested to try and hook them together and see what you get.

thanks ill try it . if it wont work with the hd switch its not going to hurt my feelings ill probly end up doing away with the rlu all together . do i need the saftl relay as well or can i scrap that too ?????:banghead::banghead: if any body has a simplified color diagram for a 1980 sg im thinking now i should eliminate as much as posible none of the simplified diagrams ive seen so far have any blinkers and i got some cool led blinkers with running lights if anybodys got a diagram for me with blinkers and running light that would really help me out thanks kevin

Any diagram that has the basics, charging, ignition, head/tail, brake lights. Will work. To add turnsignals tap in to any power after the switch, just after the 20 amp main fuse is good, use a 5 or 7.5 amp fuse then hook to the flasher, to the turn switch to the lights.

Back