How does this come off?

davetherave

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Sorry to be a dumb-ass but is there a trick to getting these grips off.

It's stuck on tight and my only course of action is to increase Hammer size till it budges or get destroyed :wtf:

Attachments

• grip.jpg
    grip.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 236
Bring out the compressor and push the handle into the grip and press the air into and they will slide off...

looks like you are able to slide it almost off? then stops? If so, pull it off as far as it will go, and cut the ugly pos off with the loudest, meanest, most spark spraying tool you have. 6" cut-off wheel will do.

Haven't got a compressor but I've been spraying WD40 on it for while. I'll come back to tomorrow. thanks.:thumbsup:

Hi Dave,
you haven't got a compressor? How can you live like that, eh?
OK, if you don't want to re-use that grip, cut it off and discard it.
But it does look like an expensive grip that you'd like to put back on.
Try shoving a skinny screwdriver between the grip and the 'bar and squirting the WD40 into the gap.
If wringing the grip like a chicken's neck still don't work after that, try putting a 7/8" open end wrench on the 'bar against the grip's inboard end and whacking the wrench with a BFH.

looks like you are able to slide it almost off? then stops? If so, pull it off as far as it will go, and cut the ugly pos off with the loudest, meanest, most spark spraying tool you have. 6" cut-off wheel will do.

Grip hasn't moved, I pushed the clutch perch up the bar to get a better swing at it. :)

Try shoving a skinny screwdriver between the grip and the 'bar and squirting the WD40 into the gap.
If wringing the grip like a chicken's neck still don't work after that, try putting a 7/8" open end wrench on the 'bar against the grip's inboard end and whacking the wrench with a BFH.
:thumbsup:
Will have a go a that tomorrow. cheers

If ya wanna save it, remove the bars from the bike, get some Ru-glyde, put enough in a coffee can to submerge the grip, let it soak 5-10 min. Dry the grip with a cloth so you can grasp it and wiggle it like you would the throttle side, (vroom-vroom noise optional) the Ru-glyde should creep its way between the rubber inserts/tube breaking the bond allowing the rubber tube to stay on the bar, then it can be twisted with pliers/channel locks to break the grip glue loose.

Or just cut the SOB off. Done.

Good luck!

And yes, i'm gonna have to cut the one off the throttle side, eventually, I won't harm the aluminum 1-B throttle tube!

Attachments

• DSCF1333.jpg
    DSCF1333.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 183
  • DSCF1329.jpg
    DSCF1329.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 201
  • DSCF1330.jpg
    DSCF1330.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 175
  • DSCF1336.jpg
    DSCF1336.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 191
  • DSCF1337.jpg
    DSCF1337.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 182
  • DSCF1338.jpg
    DSCF1338.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 185
Is that a rubber or alloy grip? If alloy don't they lock on with set screws?
Leo

Back