How fast is your bike???

Purcell

The new guy
Reaction score
Just curious. I might need to either come up a tire size or
Add a few teeth on the sprocket. How fast will your 650 go and what do you have for a tire gearing combo? Thanks

Purcell

Tell us some basic information about your running gear and any other information that might be relevant.

I thought this was just a "How fast does your bike go" thread but it is obviously a problem issue that needs more information from you to help us help you.

An XS650 should do over 100MPH. If you bike is not doing this it could relate to all sorts of things and that includes the Battery.

Running 17-32 sprockets with a 130/90r16 tire. Is this normal to be running high rpm at that low of a speed? 55 in 5th gear doesn't seem right.

Carbs are synced to however they were when I took them from the donor bike. And pods. What speeds should I be seeing? What's the best method to syncing the carbs?

Then you haven't synced the carbs.....................Maybe that is your first thing to do

OK i try to squeeze some more info out of these questions.................What is the high revs your talking about when doing 55MPH...................You haven't stated

Stock 77 motor. Xs charge pma and pamco. Run off capacitor. All electrical works fine. Has one headlight one taillight and a kill switch.

Lots to learn methinks.
From personal experience my '77, and I'm trying to remember if that was with stock 17/34 gearing or if I had changed it out to 17/32, it was early on when I'd just got her running and tagged but she would hit 70 with no problem, 5th gear. Bs34's, pods but with the Commando muffs. Carbs bench synched using straight pins under the throttle plates to achieve equal grab, uncapped the factory plugs off the idle jets and turned 3 out. Plugs a toasty color.

In my opinion a speedo, tach and voltmeter are essential to any serious rider, especially if they're the one wrenching and riding......might not look cool on a chopper/bobber but cool is as cool does.

The carb guide is your friend.

what happens as it "runs out of steam? Hint; a recent facebook conversation went about like this
The pistons are rattling, why...
What intakes, exhaust, jets?
stock jets, open pipes, pods.
Don't ride it! you have to change jetting....
Oh my son put regular in, it I'm headed to the gas station for premium...
3 hours later
No compression right side....
He holed the piston.

From the information you gave about your bike I'd say DIFFERENT ones. But that's just a guess.

Do you still have the tach drive in your engine? If so hook up a tach, mount it just temporary. Go for a ride, at 55 mph it should run about 3800 rpms.
What type of pods are you running? A lot of the cheap K&N knock offs have a lip that blocks off air flow for the jets.
The Pleated element pods like K&N are poor filters to use They cause airflow turbulence that causes slide lift issues, a flat spot off idle and a steady speed flutter.
The shorter and more tapered the worse the problem.
A lot on here have found that switching to a long straight foam filter works much better.
In the carb guide is a section on Tuning for Mods, did you read this part? It explains how changes in carb adjustment effects how the bike runs.
We can't really tell you what jetting will work best on your bike. We can tell you to try a set up, test it, make one change test it, make one change, test it.
With your set I would start one up on the pilots and two up on the mains as a starting point. test from there.
Also the carbs changed every two years so knowing what year your carbs are will help a lot on helping you.
On Paper my 75 with 17-32 sprockets if I hit redline in 5th gear I will be going 127 mph. Will it go that fast? I don't think so. I have had it up to around 85-90. That's plenty fast on the roads around here.
Leo

Last edited:
Stock 77 motor. Xs charge pma and pamco. Run off capacitor. All electrical works fine. Has one headlight one taillight and a kill switch.

Dammit Purcell!
It shouldn't have taken 11 posts to find out stuff that should have been in the first post in this string, eh?
How about you make yourself a signature line (it's easy, even I can do it) that sez:-
" '77 stock engine chopper, BS34 carbs, unknown pods, speedo only, PMA & Pamco"
THEN ask:- POS Effin thing only does 55mph, help?

Back