how hot do they get? reg/rec and back of headlamp

emzdogz

Aunty Em
Reaction score
So I have my 80 project rough wired - sort of a rough draft. ONce I see if this all actually works, I'm going to build a real harness for it, that can be taken on and off.

Once I installed the 3 pos. toggle in the (small Bates style) shell of my headlight, it's all kind of tight in there, where the switch is. I installed the heavy duty toggle in a place to least interfere with the back of the headlamp (bulb), but the bottom of the switch, where the 3 wires come off it, still ends up really close to the back of the headlamp.

The body and wires of the toggle are all encased in this one piece rubber cover.
Wondering if the heat of the headlamp could melt the wires.

Also, at least for now, I have a bundle of wires that has to be be very near the reg/rec, like to one side and slightly to the rear - but lightly touching the reg/rec.
How hot does that sucker get? Not wanting a. to melt my wires but also b. not make the reg/rec overheat. The wires are not near the "finned" portion.

Maybe I'm worrying for nothing. I've seen other headlight assy's which had kind of a lot of wires crammed into the headlight shell.
Anybody heard of wires actually melting from contacting the heat from the rear glass of the headlamp?

Anyway I am really geeked to have a working headlight! Only thing is, that blue dot on top of the headlight bucket doesn't light up for hi-beam, but then there's really nothing "there" that would make it light up. That's not a priority.
Happy to have an ON-OFF-ON toggle that WORKS!
:)

Wow it's getting so I almost have no excuse not to go ahead and put gas tank on, carbs on and try firing it up!
Wow, how'd that happen?

Gotta somehow get it down of the table first.

thx!

Once you get it running, jump it off the table. Actually, don't do that.
I'm not sure about the headlight, but the reg/rec will melt wires. Rule of Irish thumb, if it's finned, it gets HOT!

actually I thought it would be very polite if the table would "kneel" for me, so I could just push it down forward - but alas, the table has no such skills.... lol!

Wow the reg/rec gets that hot huh? that's almost got me thinking of relocating it.....hmmm

ok thx for the input.

I have mine on the down tube and away from other things. I think it gets that hot. I touch it by accident one time and it burned me. Not bad, but enough for me to keep stuff away from it.

I knew a guy that built a bike in his basement. It would fit through the door ok, but he didn't account for the 90 degree turn out the door and up the steps.

The headlight should be fine, I had the same setup for a few years with no problems.

+1 on behind the headlight. worst case senario get a "nut sack" for the forks and hide your wiring in there. those little bag things are pretty handy for keepin BS you might need in as well

LOL!!!!

Good words of wisdom someone on this forum gave me: I'll paraphrase...

Heat is the enemy of electrical components. It will shorten the life of the component. No sense putting the electronics under any more stress than needed.

I have mine under solo, sprung seat. Plenty of airflow to keep it cool (when I get her running). :)

You can see mine here on the down tube. The little scooter battery I use is actually below the reg/rec. TCI is where the tail is welded to the backbone.
ht2.jpg

Back