How to install tapered roller bearings?

sherwin

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have a set of tapered roller bearings from MikesXS and can not get the bottom one far enough into the neck so that it sits up against the lip that is inside there. I have removed all of the old pieces so there is nothing removable blocking it. Do I just have to pound harder, is there a special tool that I can use to help get it up in there, should I take some emery cloth to the inside of the neck ?

Thanks,
Sherwin

Go to a hardware store, buy a couple feet of 1/2 All Thread rod. A couple of nuts and flat washers, a couple fender washers.
Take the All Thread, put one nut on one end of the rod. put on a flat and fender washer. Drop it down through the neck. Now take the one of the old races, put it on the rod, next the fender washer, flat washer then the nut. Now tighten the nuts until the new race is pressed all the way in. Remove the rod. The old race may be stuck in the neck. Use a long punch and knock it out.
The same set up installs swing arm bushings too.
Leo

You may have to grind the out side of the fender washer a bit so it fits up in the frame.
Leo

I use one of those screw type strut spring compressors, but any log bolt will do. Also use the old stem race parts to help guide the new tapered races in straight.

Here's a pick using the same strut spring compressor to push in the swing arm bushings.
0302002128.jpg

I would NOT suggest pounding them in, you could damage them.

Back