Hughs hand built PMA wiring diagram

Dxs650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for Hugh hand built PMA with the CDI. His diagram is throwing me off with the relay that comes wit the kit. I would like to run it with a battery, electric start, 4 blade fuse box and blinkers. only seem to find diagrams with a capacitor and kick only but i really want blinkers And electric start and since thats the case i need to wire up the relay he sends with the kit.

Screenshot 2023-07-29 130810.jpg

From https://www.xs650.com/threads/hugh-hand-built-pma-relay-confusion.64599/ try answering the questions instead of asking in a new thread

'K... lets start over then.
Do you have any diagrams, drawings, pics.... anything from Hughes that you can put up here? We ain't clairvoyant. I asked in your other thread and never got a response. So lets start with that. We can't help you if you don't help us.

Something else to think about. Hughs CDI/PMA system is quite expensive. he states, "if the system is not wired up as per instructions and it fault, the warranty is void".

Now if the wires on the components, are different to the directions, then Hugh need to be made aware of this and he needs to address/acknowledge this issue in writing/email, whatever.

I am aware you have been in touch with Hugh.............but................... has the difference been addressed by Hugh???..............if not this could cost you a new Replacement. The knowledge from people on here can help solve the issue............ but.......................your not giving them the right information and again they are addressing a Hugh'sHandbuilt problem.

'K... lets start over then.
Do you have any diagrams, drawings, pics.... anything from Hughes that you can put up here? We ain't clairvoyant. I asked in your other thread and never got a response. So lets start with that. We can't help you if you don't help us.
Below is the diagram I got with the kit. My problem is that this relay is spliced to this other harness which then connects to the CDI i got from Hugh and if im correct 85 is one of those spliced black wires but in his instructions it says connect white/red to positive key power. But there is no white/red and what’s coming out of 85 is black and spliced to that other CDI harness. It driving me nuts. I have almost everything connected but this is confusing the heck out of me.

Attachments

• IMG_0252.png
    IMG_0252.png
    716.5 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_9081.jpeg
    IMG_9081.jpeg
    352 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_9080.jpeg
    IMG_9080.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_9079.jpeg
    IMG_9079.jpeg
    269.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_9082.jpeg
    IMG_9082.jpeg
    393.1 KB · Views: 120
That's a generic relay. They all work the same. 85 is power in to energize it, 86 is the ground. Dunno why Hughes put a black there. Maybe he ran out of white/red wire... dunno.... it doesn't matter what the color is. Power from the key goes to 85.

1690606159094.png

Something else to think about. Hughs CDI/PMA system is quite expensive. he states, "if the system is not wired up as per instructions and it fault, the warranty is void".

Now if the wires on the components, are different to the directions, then Hugh need to be made aware of this and he needs to address/acknowledge this issue in writing/email, whatever.

I am aware you have been in touch with Hugh.............but................... has the difference been addressed by Hugh???..............if not this could cost you a new Replacement. The knowledge from people on here can help solve the issue............ but.......................your not giving them the right information and again they are addressing a Hugh'sHandbuilt problem.
Yep. You might want to be ringing up Hughes and ask what the fuck? Your instructions say white/red and your supplied harness has black wires.
Be that as it may, 85 is power in from the key... even if it's sky blue pink, it's still power in.

Dxs650, Did your figure this out? I agree with you the instructions are confusing. I figured out the stator wiring and now trying to figure out what you have brought up. I thought one glass of wine would give me some clarity but it didn't. Then I tried two and it got even worse.

The original Coil+ (red/white that comes from OEM kill switch) is now supposed to go to Relay pin 85

Dxs650, Did your figure this out? I agree with you the instructions are confusing. I figured out the stator wiring and now trying to figure out what you have brought up. I thought one glass of wine would give me some clarity but it didn't. Then I tried two and it got even worse.
What up man. I figured it out. That white wire should I put directly to my ignition switch. Bike works perfectly now and fires on 1 kick

Back