Hugh's Handbuilt Charging System?

daymay801

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone out there have the Hugh's Handbuilt PMA conversion kit on their bike?
My stator just went out so I'm wondering if it's really that much better before I go and spend $400 on it or if I should just hunt down an original charging system?

Great question, I am in the middle of troubleshooting my charging system and with the money it can cost to fix I have been eyeing Hugh's system myself. I priced the components in his kit separately, and it actually is a pretty good deal.

I agree, even rebuilding the system with original parts could cost hundreds so I figure it might be worth the extra to put in the Hugh's system, it seems pretty nice.

It is nice. Hugh is always up front and honest and I believe it was him who told me, or maybe I read it somewhere, that you can fix the stock system if you want, but you are destined to have additional problems in the future, and hence his PMA solution.

I have been using the stock alternator/rotor for the last 5 years and it works perfectly.

I replaced the stock rectifier and stock regulator for about $35.00. Reliability is greatly increased with modern rectifiers and a NOS solid state automotive regulator. I have never had to use a battery charger on my bike during the riding season.

As electrical components age, they can fail at any time. I believe my bike has the original stator and rotor. I find 33 years to be amazing durability for the alternator. But, I also know that they can fail at any time.

$400.00 seems on the expensive side.

Yeah I don't find anything to be wrong with the original charging systems, but to be on the safe side I would want to replace the whole thing, and to buy a new regulator, stator, and rotor I'd end up paying around the same if not more (that 's also buying them brand new) And if it will make my bike run smoother at lower RPMs then I think that would be a nice bonus haha

You can save about $100 if you piece the PMA together yourself...

But if you still wanna go with stock I have all the components for sale PM me.

retiredgentleman, have you by chance ever tried out the regulator/rectifier system that pamco came up with?

Any time you can get away from the Battery excited rotor and brushes that the original system has, it is an improvement. If the battery fails, the PMA system will keep you going. I applaud Hugh for his adapter plate and initiative, I have his plate on my two running bikes.

I bought a Hugh plate for $27, a Banshee flywheel for $40 shipped, and a stator for $30 shipped, a Banshee timing plat shipped for $30, and a regulator/rectifier for $40. Grand total $167. Try fixing a 33 year old system for that price. I alsohave a Mr. Riggs plate. I am not running either system yet because I bought a system from XSCentral for just under $500 early in my build.(Sparx) Good luck what ever you decide. Tony C

I picked up Hugh's plate and the reg/rec he sells, a used Banshee flywheel and timing plate, also a used VF500 stator---It works great---a little wiring and dress-up the woodruff key and your done---Cost just about $200---I also have all the original equip. that was working fine but I just wanted to update---tim

My charging system wasn't working but the rotor tested good. I didn't really want to put any money into the set up for the reasons stated above, no battery, no spark.

I started looking for the parts on ebay, kijiji, etc. and realized I wouldn't be riding unless I just purchased the full kit from Hugh.

It installed easily and works like it should.

I've been looking for the parts to do the banshee swap, but there isn't anything reasonably priced on ebay right now :/ It would end up costing me $300 if I bought the cheapest parts that I found, I really like the idea of not having to rely on the battery though.

Something to think about with Ebay, everybody does not spell things the same---Look up flywheel and also fly wheel---One just sold for $57 not bad--- tim

Be patient with evilbay and usually one comes up at a decent price, however once again something for our XS's becomes more expensive once people catch on. The first few rotors I bought were like $30-40. Even at $300 to me its a good deal. It will cost you that to replace the original and in my mind inferior system and still cheaper than a $500 Sparxx setup.

I'm always available if you have questions. Yes, if you want to piece the kit together yourself, you can save some cash... :thumbsup: My complete kit is more of a "Convenience" than anything else... I have sold over 90 complete kits at this time, and more than 400 of the adapter plates worldwide... :D Lots of folks are loving the swap, mostly for the convenience of minimal wiring, ease of installation, and not having to worry about the stock system crapping out... I'm sure if you do some research, you can find more information, but here is a good link to read over before making a decision.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5536

I just got home, and saw this thread, I also have about 200 emails to answer, so I'll be getting to those in the AM.

Hugh

I fully agree that it is much more convenient to order your kit, and once you pay multiple shipping fees it probably isn't even that big of a price difference.

Back