Hugh's Handbuilt Charging System?

I've been looking for the parts to do the banshee swap, but there isn't anything reasonably priced on ebay right now :/ It would end up costing me $300 if I bought the cheapest parts that I found, I really like the idea of not having to rely on the battery though.

I'm wondering what is your concern with the battery?

Not so much a concern, I guess I just am a little untrusting since I've been having battery issues haha

Anyone know the nut size that holds everything together? When I took my old assembly off I lost the nut and the key way.

It might be that you can piece a conversion kit together yourself and save a few bucks but I'd spend my money with Hugh before going anywhere else. I mean, unless you really know this stuff you won't even know if what you're piecing together is the right stuff. Get one bad part or 1 wrong part and you've lost whatever you might have saved by going it alone.

Besides, I've done business with Hugh, even met him and know he's straight up.

But should you decide to rebuild your old system I can honestly attest that Custom Rewind in Alabama will do the job right. I've done business with them too.

Tonyc, in one of your posts you say you spent $167 for PMA partsand that you can't fix a stock set up for less.
I fixed my stock charging system for about $8, that's about what I payed for a set of brushes from the hardware store. A bit of sanding to fit the brush holders and soldering them to the old brush metal parts.
I did do the Chrysler/ Radio Shack mods, not so much to fix bad parts but to prevent an old part breaking down hundreds of miles from home.
Leo

That is great Leo. My situation was different. My stator was toast. For a few extra bucks I no longer have to worry about brushes. The only component for worry maybe the three-phase regulator-rectifier and it is small enough to carry a spare. I agree that if money is tight stick with the original. Another reason to switch would be to run without a battery and that is my reason for my next build. The original is good with routine maintenance and good new parts. If this system has lasted 30 plus years it has to be good. Tony C

Back