I bought an 81 xs650 with matching Title but the DMV wants me suffer. they seem evil

Well, I guess that it is the missing bill of sale that is the problem. I think someone else here suggested sending the title to trusted friend in a state that does not require a bill of sale and then let him sell it back to you with a bill of sale after he gets the new title in his state.

Whatever you do, be sure to ask yourself what you are going to tell the judge. :wtf:

I had this happen with a bike, sort of.
The guy I bought the bike from never transferred the title for the five years he owned the bike.
I buy the bike from this guy, and I get it cheaper because I'm expecting to have pay for a surety bond. (bonded title)
Just on a whim I decide to try to look up the name on the title.
Lucky me, the original owner still lives here five years later!
I cold-called him and explained the situation.
He agreed to help me out by signing the state title transfer (bill of sale) paperwork for me.
He said he really regretted selling the bike in the first place so it was cool of him to help out a total stranger.

Anyway,
/CSB

Hope your deal turns out ok too. :)

That was my thought too, I'm new to titles but as I understand it now, the owner signed it and the purchaser neglected signing it and getting a new title in his name so its still a clear open title. I think all I have to do now is track down the original owner or pretend that I found him still living at his original address, get the signature on the bill of sale and head on down to the dmv to get a fresh one.

Wow that sounds like a pain in the butt.

I just bought my 81 as well a few months back. Guy had a title that signed over to someone who was a friend of the guy who sold me the bike. I took it to the DMV and I told them the story. They asked me to fill out an explanation form. I did and I have a title in my name and all the plates. Fully legal now. No hard work at all.

Go back to the DMV and wait for someone else.

My65Bug,

That's good advice. I bought a bike with a correct and complete title, but then I made a mistake when I filled in the selling price, so I crossed it out and put the correct price right next to it. But Nooooo. The DMV would not accept that and told me I had to complete another form showing the correction and have it signed by the seller who was 80 miles away. :wtf: And, this particular DMV office did not have the form that they just told me I had to submit, so I went to another DMV office to get the form and when I told my sad story to this lady, she said "Do you want to apply for a temporary license so you can ride the bike while you are waiting for the seller to return the form?" Like, duh..:doh:.Of course I want a temporary license. Only $5. Got it right there and then. Rode the bike legally the same day. So, why didn't the person at the first DMV office do the same thing? :shrug: The funny part is that if the first DMV office I went to had the form, I would have had to wait the two weeks it took for the seller to return it, and we all know what that is like ...having to wait to ride a new bike! :banghead:

The problem with a lot of the answers you're getting is that everything is different from state to state. For instance, here in CA, if a vehicle hasn't been registered for 7 years, it fall soff the DMVs books. After that, all you need is a bill of sale and a statement that it hasn't been used on the highway, and you get a new title. It's actually better if you don't have the original title. Take the time to find out exactly what the laws are in your state, and the best way to navigate your state's DMV. I agree with Pamcopete, it's not worth the risk, just do it right and you'll have no worries down the road. I have a friend that bought a bike from the midwest with a valid title, and when it got here to CA, it showed up as being stolen from California. That was a nightmare to explain!

Good luck,

DLD1

I am sorry man I thought for some reason you were in California. Pretty much as long as you have possession of the bike and have the title you just have to fill out the statement of fact and sign it. If nobody contests it, the bike is yours. Took me like 3 weeks and she is all done.

Back