I just broke my throttle linkage. Please help!

Crab_Cake

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
:doh:

So my right carb has been leaking a bit of fuel. I figured I must have screwed up the float when I last had it out. I started taking the carbs off by removing the throttle cable. What I have done in the past is use a screwdriver and pliers to pry the metal tab back. Unfortunately it snapped right off.

brokenthrottle.jpg

brokenthrottle2.jpg

I have no idea what to do other than buy a new part. I don't even know where to get a new part. Any help would be appreciated.

Tools aren't required to remove the cable from the carbs, maybe someone here has a spare one.

O shit. I just figured it out. I'll bet you just take the cable through the slot. Damnit. O well, c'est la vie.

Maybe I can JB wel the thing back on.

Maybe you could sell the bike, you're hurting the poor thing, lol. You'd make the perfect P.O. with antics like this.

Haha I broke my first set of carbs too(careful with those drain plugs). And don't even ask how long it took me to figure out how to remove the carbs(cam tensioner nut and oil cap have to be removed)

loosen the cable housing and turn the adjuster to where the housing gets shorter, then you have a lot of cable slack allowing you to remove the cable end from the carbs with ease.

Crab_Cake............Look at the photo...............between the choke pull and the vacuum hose is the cradle where the sheath sits and the throttle cable exits....there is a grove/crack in the cradle........lift the throttle lever by hand, (the piece you broke), when you get some slack in the throttle cable the sheath will lift off the cradle........ now the cable will slip through the grove/crack in the cradle...........Now with the cable housing/sheath loose , pull down untill the throttle cable is low enough to slide the pin out :thumbsup:

Some one will have a spare part, i have a few but the postage from here would kill you:yikes:

No releasing of the cable adjustment needed......

Last edited:
In a nutshell I guess that would be correct. If you are asking would I use a soldering iron and soft solder, no. It requires a torch, brass rod and flux. A radiator shop could do it. If there is such an animal in your woods.

xsjohn had a 'quick throttle mod' for that piece. I did the mod and it's nice. Heat and bend where the cable attaches so that the attachment is a bit closer to the mounting nut of the said piece, shortens the travel and quickens response.
Should be something in the old Rider archives about it.......

throttlemod001.jpg

You are trying to fix it with glue, and saying it probably won't work to boot, when somebody offered to do it right for free. You're insane.

Well it looks like the JB weld is holding. The thing feels pretty solid and the pressure from the cable should be on the inside prong.

Still, I will probably be on some trip and have it break off. :D

Anyways thanks for the help guys.

nj1639, You might mention that John cautioned about how brittle this piece is and how easy it is to break it. (Grizld1 cautions about this for the ears on the ATU also.)
The trick for success is in the heating.

Crab cake a small zip tye should get you home if it breaks again. Or in my case a bit of baling wire.

Back