I went down for the first time this weekend

jonasblack

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just thought I would share my experience, because I am fortunately still here to tell it.

I went to Tucson to visit my folks who live out there, and they run a riding group for smaller engine bikes

I ended up not being able to take my XS so I figured I would rent a Harley... you know where this is going by now, don't you?

I rented an 883 which was converted to 1200cc, and we went riding in the Tucson mountains west of the city near Kitt Peak (gorgeous ride). On a straight shot I hit a patch of sand and lost traction on the Harley's rear tire. I am extremely safe when it comes to riding, and I literally just rode over this sand patch. The bike immediately wobbled and the front wheel went straight off the road which had no shoulder and got caught in the sand. The rear wheel still having momentum came around, and it slung me off of the bike. I was launched at least 20 feet and landed on my neck and shoulders. Thank the universe I was geared up (I had thought about doing otherwise because of the heat, but my mom bitched me out). I was knocked unconscious and was out for about a minute before I came to and in my state of shock I walked over to the Harley, picked it up, gathered the broken bits, and got it to start. I rode it home with my injuries. I am incredibly fortunate to have been out with my folks, and that I was geared up.

I am busted up, bruised, and sore but I am alive and thankful. So thankful in fact that I limped around my XS today and gave her a tune up for being such an awesome bike that has never ever let me down.

My best lesson ever is that bigger is not always better, and the gear I was wearing (street and steel mesh, biltwell helmet) saved my life. I just had to rip the cactus off of my stomach.

I am glad to be writing this message to all you 650 riders, and I wish you safe travels. Keep your heads up because it can happen in a split second like it did with me.

Stay Up Dudes!

p.s. No more Harley for me, aside from crashing it, it handled like garbage. No offense to any Harley fans, but it definitely is not what I look for in a motorcycle.

Glad your are ok and where geared up. I see lots of no helmets- tshirts shorts and tennishoes and some times flipflops.
sand is sketchy with street tires, and heavy and not your bike makes it worse.

Glad you escaped serious injury. The 650 would probably not have dumped you. Hope you bought the insurance. Harley repairs costly.

I always buy the insurance haha.

I know for a fact that I had been on my XS I would not have gone down, but it was a valuable experience.

Glad your are ok and where geared up. I see lots of no helmets- tshirts shorts and tennishoes and some times flipflops.
sand is sketchy with street tires, and heavy and not your bike makes it worse.

to each their own, you know? I just like my feet.

Eeeeeyyyyyyeeeeeewwwwww, a cactus landing.:yikes:

I hate those.

Glad you made out ok. Just tell yourself: "There are those who have, and those who will".

Remember this lesson if you do any of our hillcountry wet low-water crossings.

They get a super-slick coating of algae that'll challenge any dirtrider...

Glad to hear you're ok and thanks for posting this. It's always good to be reminded to constantly be aware.
Hope your recovery is quick.
Yamimoto

I hate those.

Glad you made out ok. Just tell yourself: "There are those who have, and those who will".

Less than perpendicular to a wet cattle guard or raildroad track can eat you up too. Odds are, if the sporty front plowed, so would your XS. You CANNOT know for a FACT that you would not have dumped any given bike. Sportsters are not fabulous handlers IMO, but a loose traction obstacle does not care what brand you are on or what it weighs.

I was down on Friday, big deer hunter, and at speed. The gear was priceless as my head is unscratched, my jacket tore up pretty good, too. I am 65 and am very proud of myself for being tough enough to get up and walk away. On the other hand, I a feel like every woman I ever met came at me with a ball bat. Rolling/sliding down the pavement at 55 mph is not really something I want to replay. I'll bet you are about as sore as I am, and if so, you have my sympathy and well wishes for a quick recovery.

It's amazing what adrenaline will do to get you up out of the road and get a bike back up on the stand! Good on both of you wearing your gear. Skin and skull don't fare well against pavement.

Hi Jonas,
Oh yes, ATGATT can save your sorry arse. I've fallen off every bike I've ever owned, always wore a helmet, always landed on my arse. Must be my aerodynamic body shape, fat end first just like an astronaut's re-entry vehicle.
My first was a Cyclemaster. Check this out:-
Mine was grafted into an elderly Hercules bicycle which wasn't quite up to the task.
It's front forks broke off as I was overtaking a city bus. Then I was laying there in the street looking up at the bus radiator with the bus driver saying "Gawd, I thought I'd killed you."
WTF, when you are 17 you think you're immortal. My main peeve was having to wheel the thing back home with the steering head under one arm and the forks and front wheel under the other.

- - - I am 65 and am very proud of myself for being tough enough to get up and walk away. - - -

Hi weaselbeak,
my riding buddy Orv. had to hop away.
Orv blames the "watch for deer" sign.
If he hadn't read the sign and slowed down that big doe would have run across the road after he'd gone past instead of his bike hitting it amidships.
Poor critter wrapped itself around the front of the bike and Orv is left sitting astride his stopped machine with dead deer parts everywhere.
A passing motorist stopped and Orv has to ask him to come and put the bike's side stand down.
Orv couldn't do it because his right leg was broken.
Orv still wears a knee brace, we call him Mad Max.
And yeah, Orv's 70.

It's amazing what adrenaline will do to get you up out of the road and get a bike back up on the stand! Good on both of you wearing your gear. Skin and skull don't fare well against pavement.

this is truth, now looking back on it I should have just laid for a little bit and assessed the situation before I got back up.

I was down on Friday, big deer hunter, and at speed. The gear was priceless as my head is unscratched, my jacket tore up pretty good, too. I am 65 and am very proud of myself for being tough enough to get up and walk away. On the other hand, I a feel like every woman I ever met came at me with a ball bat. Rolling/sliding down the pavement at 55 mph is not really something I want to replay. I'll bet you are about as sore as I am, and if so, you have my sympathy and well wishes for a quick recovery.

My ribs are the most sore and my foot is atrocious, but I am getting back on the road today on my xs. I just installed euro mirrors! I have to ride!

cactus landings suckkkkkk

I hate those.

If you ever want to ride with someone let me know! I know I am looking for riders to cruise with.

Possibly. ...If I can control myself (stay confined to the engine only), and finish the other barn.
This could be the incentive I need to get into this...

Nearly the same situation. 1100 shadow aero, ie big ole pig. Going to tun left onto a Tee road. Dry clean asphalt. SUV coming to a stop sign on the T road. He will have to wait for me to turn left in front of him. So I kinda left my speed up "just a bit" to clear him. As I came around the SUV I see a woman and girl, NO GEAR, riding a quad against traffic on the far shoulder. The SUV had perfectly blocked the quad from view as they both came to the corner. No problem, I tighten my turn a bit, and ease off throttle to clear them and that's when my front tire hit a small triangle of sand left over from last winter, no more than a foot or two wide, right in the center of the T. The tire slid, I was going to T bone the quad. Then the tire slid through the sand, caught asphalt and I completed the corner, with a little room to spare. The bike never even bobbled just went back to going around the corner. The Quad riders had no idea how close they had just come to disaster. I'm not sure they were even aware I had been there.

A couple of days later I stopped and looked at the sand patch, it was nearly invisible, even when i knew it was there. I could still see where the front had slid the sand a bit.

I hope I never experience a "cactus" crash!

Nearly the same situation. 1100 shadow aero, ie big ole pig. Going to tun left onto a Tee road. Dry clean asphalt. SUV coming to a stop sign on the T road. He will have to wait for me to turn left in front of him. So I kinda left my speed up "just a bit" to clear him. As I came around the SUV I see a woman and girl, NO GEAR, riding a quad against traffic on the far shoulder. The SUV had perfectly blocked the quad from view as they both came to the corner. No problem, I tighten my turn a bit, and ease off throttle to clear them and that's when my front tire hit a small triangle of sand left over from last winter, no more than a foot or two wide, right in the center of the T. The tire slid, I was going to T bone the quad. Then the tire slid through the sand, caught asphalt and I completed the corner, with a little room to spare. The bike never even bobbled just went back to going around the corner. The Quad riders had no idea how close they had just come to disaster. I'm not sure they were even aware I had been there.

A couple of days later I stopped and looked at the sand patch, it was nearly invisible, even when i knew it was there. I could still see where the front had slid the sand a bit.

I hope I never experience a "cactus" crash!

I am glad you are still vertical, my friend! I am not always fully geared but at least boots gloves and a lid, but I think that will change now that I had my experience.

You know, it's not as bad as you think. It only hurts like hell once the adrenaline wears off. When I came to I just pulled the stickers from my side calmly, I don't even think I was fully aware of what had just happened.

Possibly. ...If I can control myself (stay confined to the engine only), and finish the other barn.
This could be the incentive I need to get into this...

If you need help finishing anything let me know. I would love learn and help. I'll even help you finish the barn if it means I get a riding partner!

Back