Ignition/Tank Key Replacement

Something to keep in mind - the ignition is usually made more secure by including an extra "tumbler" or two in the lock. That means if you take a seat or gas cap lock to the locksmith, the resulting key most likely won't operate the ignition switch. It will be missing one or two needed notches.

Thanks, I'd not even given that any thought. Makes sense.

These locks are pretty easy to re-key yourself. As long as the key you have will insert fully into the other locks, they can be changed around internally to work with it. Yamaha used like 4 different key styles so not every one will fit into every lock. Some offset left, some right, some have narrow grooves down the side, some have wide ones, some have one groove, some two.

Picked up an 86 Radian cheap to kype it's swingarm, one thing led to another and soon it will be back on the road. No key but the seat was off, gave the seat lock to my neighbor, a "real" locksmith. Three days later I had it back with a key to fit. He couldn't get the key from yamaha from the code so he made one to fit the lock. JOY! Well not quite, it did not operate the other locks. But old gggGary don't just roll over. Hit both cap and iggy locks with rust buster and lube, worked the key with a pair of pliers to run up and down and twist, this is tricky don't want to twist off the key. Still no joy, then; held the key in the vice and worked the edges with a wire brush pretty thoroughly to simulate the typical worn key shape. back at it pretty hard and I got the iggy to turn! after several reps it was working smooth. a further 15 minutes on the gas cap freed that up also!

Back