Inner Clutch rubbuing case when disengaged. HELP!!

Greenbush

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW, spelled "Rubbing" WRONG. Late night trying to fix this.
I fully cleaned up my clutch with new plates and deburring both the new plates and the plate grooves on the inner and outer plate grooves. I put it back together and the F ING inner is rubbing the inside of the case when disengaged.
I took it apart and fully inspected it and followed two different books. The basket case(outer) I know is on all the way because the gears are right up on the main case and fully lined up with the crank sprocket. So, so F ING how the inner is not seating far enough in. HELP!! I was up until 2:15 AM removing and reassembling. I thought I had it done when I found the push rod on the left was not seated all the way into the actuator. But starter her up and as soon as I pulled in the clutch you hear it scrapping the case.
I'm PULLING my hair. Trying to make a classic bike ride today.
FYI, I did line up the marks on the inner and outer. :banghead::banghead::banghead::wtf:

Last edited:
Have a look at these diagrams. You can't just replace parts as you found them, because the PO that was in there before may have installed the wrong parts, or wrong order.

Attachments

• Clutch Assembly.jpg
    Clutch Assembly.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 114
  • Revised clutch.jpg
    Revised clutch.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 130
Thanks RetireGentileman. I've looked at every schematic I could find, as well as instructions. After discussions with another Forum member, my new plates may be too thick(3.5mm) when they are supposed to 3mm(for a 7 plate basket).

Just so everyone whom chimed in to help or read this, here is what the problem was;
Sudco sold me 7 Fiber plates(Vesrah). Turns out that 6 were 3.45mm thick(equalling 21mm, ish) and one at 2.74mm. Equaling to 22.74mm of total Fiber plate thickness where it is supposed to be 21mm total for 77-82(ish, prior to 6 plate clutch)
So the reason it was rubbing was nothing of my doing except taking Sudco's word and not double checking their spec prior. :banghead::wtf:

So, passing on the lesson AS WELL, guys with earlier XS that spec 3.5mm Fiber plates,
Sudco has them, just request them to measure prior to shipping.

Peace out!!!

Back