Interesting motorcycles, not XS650

cm0616-243950_1@2x.jpg

In the old days (jeez I am dating myself) toothsome young ladies wandered the track offering small packets ( 6 or 10) packets of Marlboro or Camel cigarettes at big races.
Yup, I worked on an IMSA team and I remember them well as Camel was a series sponsor.

Harley Davidson Sportster 'Colt':

HARLEY D SPORTSTER 'COLT' 21K.PNG'COLT' 21K.PNG

You’d better break out your asbestos underwear if you plan on riding that one! I can feel my nuts roasting, just looking at it!
Screaming Homer Simpson GIF

^^^Do you have ANY idea what I'd have given for one of those when I was 20? It was the coolest motorcycle on the planet!

713DDDB6-634F-4E92-A029-0E2D8908F03F.jpeg

Those Triumph scramblers still get my blood pumping. I always wanted one! ❤️

You’d better break out your asbestos underwear if you plan on riding that one! I can feel my nuts roasting, just looking at it!
Look where the foot peg would locate your ankle. Better have asbestos socks too
And you better have good ear protection, looking at those megaphones. And considering there's no front brake you better have good body armour.

That bike is the triumph of style over function, or perhaps the triumph of stoopid over sensible.

Fully agree about the Triumph scrambler though.

Phil Read, DTS
RIP Phil Read. 7 World motorcycling championships, with 52 wins from 152 starts and 8 TT wins from 14 starts (13 podiums)
View attachment 227110
Great racer and ambassador for the sport.
I once owned a Honda Phil Reed Replica CB750
PHIL RIED 1.jpg

Wish I didn't part it; worth over £20k now!

My first m/c was a 125 Sears Allstate-3-speed hand shift. when I was 15. It came with a rolling frame and a box of seized engine. Dad took me to Sears in Denver for new parts. They had piston, rings, pin, clips, cylinder, head (don't remember is it used a head gasket), and a few other parts, but they didn't have a center case gasket...1st time I heard the dreaded word 'backordered' :rolleyes: I waited 3 months for that damn gasket (Summer-damn it) when someone suggested to make my own. WHAT????
Here's a magazine ad for it and a pic of me with 'my Allstate' :bike:
Sears ad.png

Allstate.jpg

Last edited:
Back