Interesting motorcycles, not XS650

Manufacturers have made some pretty unusual looking bikes over the years, I think BMW's R1200C takes the cake though. Another word would be downright 'ugly'.
Not as ugly as the BMW, but I think the Honda Rune gets honorable mention in the the Ugly Bike Hall of Fame.

Here's one I would never describe as ugly

gilera-saturno.jpg

1948 Gilera Saturno 500. Picture from the web.

Last edited:
Thank you, TW, a most interesting video. Due credit is given to Alfred Scott for his innovations and the long-running & highly successful Scott motorcycle. Plus of course some 4-cylinder Japanese 2-strokes I was unaware of.

I've been watching this ad down south in Georgia for about a month, running at $2500. A cool machine. I think I will just have a coke!
'TT'
EB9822CF-0E23-4B48-A98D-EED8099CA0DC.jpeg
This Sears is a rebadged austrian 250 SG Puch. A very nice bike. I used to have a 175 version. James Dean had one too.

There is a local restaurant / pizza chain here, the kind of restaurant that likes to hang all kinds of quirky stuff on the walls to look at. I’ve been in two of them that have an old Bridgestone / Puch motorcycles displayed as art. I always think they look like they would be fun to restore! 😄
9826654B-5671-4C1A-9431-0EA04A571FDF.jpeg60DEC77F-A400-44FE-ADFE-55AEFD76DFF3.jpeg
456AEACF-CE6A-4825-A243-A1A7CFDAF97B.jpeg

Perhaps unknown i the US
Jawa a bit long video but there is some special design ideas Not Eastern like behind iron curtain and not Western like British nor Italian
The early 60 ies ones had a special exhaust note one remembers once heard it Giving throttle PPrrrtttttt and let go of the gas it shot in the exhaust cant find it online perhaps due to wear not shown here
Pom ..pom ..pom prrrttttt Pom ..pom ..pom prrrttttt
Not so common here but saw them now and then

Love this thread! (obviously). It's a great distraction from waiting for the bad news I know is coming :(

Egli FXR
Egli%20%20Harley-Davidson.jpg

Can you post a pic of your Penton? I used to race against them boys: Jack Penton, Rod Bush, Joe Barker....
Sure! 1972 Amal carbed original. True barn find. Unfortunately, his brother wouldn't sell the '73 KTM 250 next to it.
CIMG2437.JPG

CIMG2444.JPG
IMG_20150917_161328.jpg

Can you post a pic of your Penton? I used to race against them boys: Jack Penton, Rod Bush, Joe Barker....
I rode on the same minuet with Jack Penton one year at the Burr Oak National.
Stayed right on his rear fender for the first 12 miles. Then we hit the first woods section, I kept him in sight for a 1/4 mile. Then never saw him the rest of the day. :sick:

Yep, they were top riders. I used to run Hare Scrambles through the winter '72-'77, 175cc class. It was "dead-engine-start". IIRC the Penton 175's were Sachs engines with left kicker. My CT3MX, MX175A,B's would start in gear and was moving before the kicker hit the footpeg - a big advantage. Most of the time I'd finish 2nd or 3rd, depending on who was running. The top two were Denny Schwartz (factory Maico 250) and Bush (Penton 175). If Bush won overall, they sometimes gave me 1st in class. If Schwartz won overall, I was, at best, 2nd to Bush.

Back