Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GLJ, Oct 31, 2018.
Looks like a decent fix GLJ - interested to see how it works.
I don't consider it a real fix. More of a stop gap measure until it can be welded.
Looking good G. Don’t feel too bad. Every CB750 I did had broken cases.
Well that had to be a surprise! It’s very fortunate that you are building up the original motor to go back in.
By the way, regarding the paint on your case. Yeah, if I had it to do all over again, I think I’d go a different way. I don’t think the paint is hard enough and the clear coat is starting to yellow. Maybe some day I’ll repaint it. No rush.
The POR15 aluminum paint is some tough stuff. My hands look like the Tin Man from the Wizard of OZ. $hit don't wash off.
Edit: I’m not sure I was being clear about the paint. I was referring to me not being very happy with the paint on my cases. I wasn’t talking about your paint job. I hope my post wasn’t confusing.
Starting to look like an engine again. Crank turns, seems to have all 5 gears and neutral. Picked up cylinders and head from machine shop this afternoon.
I did something to the bike I didn't think I would ever do. Put turn signals back on it. Short stalk lights with 900 lumen LEDs. Indicator doesn't work right with the LEDs but the front turns are bright enough you can see when they are on better than the indicator would show.
Went for a few rides this week. She runs nice and smooth, motor has 750 smiles on it and seems to be breaking in nicely. Starts great, idles well, no blowby or oil out the breather tubes. Going back to a 34 tooth rear sprocket makes it a lot nicer to ride. Still has plenty of power, cruising at 65 seems more sedate.
That’s awesome G. I’m hoping for the same results. Stock breather with baffle? 2 tubes? BTW bike looks great.
Yes and yes.
The Lump is back together. Looks much better in the pics than in person. Drastic change from what it was tho. Spun her over with the starter. Getting oil up to the strainer in the clutch cover. 130+ compression in both cylinders.
On a different front I got my original tank back from having new clear put on it. Got gas cap, petcocks and emblems back on. Hopefully that will stop any more rusting and fading. Need to leave it cure for another day or so before taking a chance of getting fuel on it.
Something I do with my alternator gaskets is apply sealer to the cover side. Actually, I apply it to the narrow edge of the cover. That way, the gasket comes off with the cover.
The motor looks great, and I like what you’re doing with the tank. It’ll be all original again, the motor that came in it and the tank that was on it, in its original patina. It reminds me of the way guys like to just clear coat old trucks and hot rods. I think it’s cool.
Even the black gaskets.
Ha! Yeah , I need to send you some greenies!
Roland built my motor with green gaskets.
A month or so ago I was at a State Park. A guy walked up and started asking me about my bike. One of his questions was how long ago I rebuilt the top end. I was puzzled. Asked him how he knew it had been rebuilt. He said it was easy, green base and valve cover gaskets. That's when I decided I was going to use black gaskets on this engine.
I have visions of a couple of guys doing a little detail work with one of these.
Plus everybody knows engines make more horsepower with black gaskets.
Might be just me but I don't give a rat's a$$ what color the gaskets are as long as the motor starts and runs long enough to get me back to home!
Right at 1000 smiles on this engine. It has been running very well but I thought the valves sounded a noisier usual. So today pulled the tank, reset the valves and checked the cam chain tension. As I thought several valve had loosened up a thousands or so. Cam chain was just fine. Since I had the tank off it was a good time to put the original back on. Got this stuff before Big Boy passed through town. After lunch decided to go fill her up and go for a ride. Didn't make it to the gas station. Had to turn back. She was running like crap. Idle higher than normal, accelerated like it was running on one cylinder. WTF. Well I missed a minor detail. The right carb cable wasn't fully seated in the holder at the carb. Carbs were 1/4 inch out of sinc. Corrected, tried again. Back to running great. 30 smiles later back in garage.
When I took the tank to the powder coating guy and asked about sealing the tank he suggested a product called "Cerakote". He said it's almost impervious to anything. Gasohol would be no problem. He did mention one draw back is he knows of no chemicals to strip it back off if needed. Sanding, grinding or sand blasting will remove it. He did mention it's also used on guns. If it looks like it will hold up I may have him do more parts of the bike this winter.
Separate names with a comma.