PHANTOM RESURRECTION 78 SPECIAL

The Phantom

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I bought this new (to me) sx650 from an outstanding junkyard in Madison Co. Va. It was obvious it had been laid down on both sides. But, the engine had oil and the kickstart moved as well as the gears changed. The junkyard owner had recently pulled it out of storage for 38 years, and wanted a nominal sum. I resurrected an 81 CAMARO from his junkyard during Covid so he likes me,, a lot. He knew nothing other than the storage period. Now it’s in my back yard. Engine is covered on my back porch after recent removal. It is a 78 Special with matching frame and engine VIN.
I’m doing this for my 22 year old as I refused to get him a motorcycle when he was a teenager. I haven’t ridden since 85.
Thanks to Jim for getting this started. I’m looking forward to this experience with you all!

Attachments

• IMG_1663.jpeg
    IMG_1663.jpeg
    373.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1678.jpeg
    IMG_1678.jpeg
    498.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1683.jpeg
    IMG_1683.jpeg
    627.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1682.jpeg
    IMG_1682.jpeg
    476.8 KB · Views: 86
Looks like you have everything there you need. Take your time, use the tech section, ask questions to what you don’t understand and before you know it you’ll be riding it.

To the best of my knowledge these are from my '78 Special.
You'll need a couple of securing pins (or such) at the base. You could get creative with the method of securing, like small bolts.
You can have them for the price of shipping, maybe 10 bucks or so.
I'm just north of you near Syracuse NY.
Send me your zip in a PM (22936?) and I can be more accurate on the ship cost.

Jeff

Special.covers.jpg

Last edited:
To the best of my knowledge these are from my '78 Special.
You'll need a couple of securing pins (or such) at the base. You could get creative with the method of securing, like small bolts.
You can have them for the price of shipping, maybe 10 bucks or so.
I'm just north of you near Syracuse NY.
Send me your zip in a PM (22936?) and I can be more accurate on the ship cost.

Jeff

View attachment 251990
Hey, that is more than generous. I don’t mind giving you more, and I don’t wish to take advantage of this site. I get paid Friday. They’re awesome. I’m not sure how to Private Message?

Hey, that is more than generous. I don’t mind giving you more, and I don’t wish to take advantage of this site. I get paid Friday. They’re awesome. I’m not sure how to Private Message?
Look at your lap top or phone screen. Find the mail envelope in the upper right corner next to your sign on name. Click "start a new conversation" and type the sign in name, for me it would be "Kevin Werner". Some names will give you drop downs because there might be Tim, Tim1, TimBob, or Timid. and you choose which. Do not be shy, I am a newbie here and have ridden with (well, behind) several friend here and none will bight your head off.

I'll follow this resurrection. Got some '81 Camaro pics to share with us? :geek:

We ain't snobs here.... bikes, cars, airplanes.... gearheads like us jus' like pics. :wink2:

Attachments

• IMG_0659.jpeg
    IMG_0659.jpeg
    698.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0660.jpeg
    IMG_0660.jpeg
    693.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0785.jpeg
    IMG_0785.jpeg
    499.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0809.jpeg
    IMG_0809.jpeg
    437.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0810.jpeg
    IMG_0810.jpeg
    847.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0916.jpeg
    IMG_0916.jpeg
    757.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0979.jpeg
    IMG_0979.jpeg
    451.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1515.jpeg
    IMG_1515.jpeg
    756.7 KB · Views: 70
I'll post in this thread. Really does pay to read, and reread and measure to make sure to get the right Diaphrams. Cheap at $24 each with postage

http://jbmindustries.com/

http://jbmindustries.com/Dimensions.html

http://jbmindustries.com/JBM_ORDER.html
Thanks. I cleaned the butterfly on the throttle plate as well as the housing. There was some white crap in that area not allowing the plate to seat well. Now the slide takes about 8 seconds to fall. Thanks again for the information

The butterfly plate isn't related to the slide diaphragm or slide drop. It's good that you cleaned it but it shouldn't have any effect on the slide drop.

The butterfly plate isn't related to the slide diaphragm or slide drop. It's good that you cleaned it but it shouldn't have any effect on the slide drop.
I was just looking at the housing a few minutes ago. I see the elongated oval going up to the chamber. Some one mentioned the choke being off to accurately determine drop time. Anyway, it’s now longer than before. I guess I’ll get the red rubber grease off Amazon. I don’t like them much. They kind of did in book publishers

Back