JB weld on gas tank?

rafbobber702

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have an issue with a slightly leaky filler neck of the fuel tank. Its right at the base, but it doesnt leak tremendously, just dribbles only on a full tank. But here's a pic for reference;

I was wondering if JB weld can be used to seal it. I don't want to resort to welding unless I have to. Or having to get a whole new fuel tank.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20140908_132122.jpg
    20140908_132122.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 385
I've done it and no problems. There is no pressure there and it's listed gasoline resistant. I will not use the Kwik -Weld version, however. Done it several times on old problem bikes.

Just get the area very clean, any dirt, oil, even finger prints will keep the JB Weld from adhering as well as it should.
Leo

Was reading a report on JBweld and its solvent resistance to alcohols, and the report said that (when exposed to full-strength) butanol, isopropyl alcohol and ethanol, the JBweld epoxy would eventually become thickly/gummy.

As such, I would recommend that the JBweld patch/seal be applied such that it completely flows into and fills the region, minimizing fuel contact by leaving no voids for our wonderful gasohol to weep into and possibly softening the epoxy.

JB Weld will eventually fail when in contact with ethanol-containing gasoline, this is well-documented.
There are a couple of different epoxies that are specifically made for gasoline-contact that are readily available at any auto parts store, for example VersaChem Magnum Instant Gas Tank Repair.

Back