Just Finished Rebuilding, few things still wrong. Need Help.

I sprayed some butane all over the place in there and the RPMs dropped significantly, definitely an air leak. Thanks for the help.

pablo...,

Looking back at the posts, I don't see where you mentioned what year / model bike / engine you have. Might help....:shrug:

It is a 1979 xs650 special. The spot where the airbox meets the carbs are leaking. The rubber is totally hard and it barely fits on there, it is just getting way too much air. So I am going to re-jet and put some cones on. That should do it.

Fundamental to carb operation is the float level. Have you confirmed that they are correct? I like to use a plastic tube connected to the drain plug hole as a level gauge.............very accurate.

Won't go over 60 mph.................is compression normal i.e. 140 psi? Also could be leaks in carb diaphram or plugged up tank vent.

I decided to just order the gaskets for the airboxes and they came in today and it didn't help much. Still dies with choke and now won't idle, I checked the compression and it got up to 125 psi. Also it kinda has a knocking sound when I am engine braking. Ugh!

Back