Just got a XS650. HELP!!

suthpaw22

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just got my 78 XS650 the other day off craigslist. I'm really excited about it. I am taking a motorcycle tech class, but I am no expert by no means. I regestered on here earlier this evening and wrote a LONG message about myself and this bike, but when I went to submit I had forgotten that shortly after I regesterd my computer acted up and I wasn't logged in when I wrote the book and lost it all. Needless to say I am not as inclined to give such an intro this times. Anyway, here is a pic of it. I wanted a project bike and thats what I got, but it is virtually complete already.

78 XS650.jpg

Yeah. lol.

From looking it over this is what I see the bike needs so far. Carbs, right and left side petcocks, a gas cap, and a speedometer. Any suggestions on where I could get these at a good price?

Also, whats the difference in the brands of carbs? I've seen the most on mikuni 34's but heared 38's are better.

- well, theres a can of worms...you will get people that swear this or that are the best...basically the most commonly used are the
original Mikuni CV carbs BS34 or 38​
mikuni TM flatslide​
mikuni VM roundslide​
dell'ortos​

- for some good background and specific info check this thread out

- also some basic info here and here

- happy reading :D

- someone here may have a set of CV carbs that you could use to learn on, theyre actually pretty good carbs and the jetting will be more or less in the ballpark...could try putting a wanted ad in the classifieds

Thank you both. I'm actually watching those 38's on eBay and have checked out mikesxs. I want to just jump and buy these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0438494629&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

My advice: get a cheap set of 38 CV's (which would have been stock on your bike, i think). Play with them. Screw around. They're very forgiving, and after a thorough cleaning, and new stock jets, they tend to run mint with very little adjustment.

*then* go for the slides if you want to. They're tetchy, and you'll be constantly (well, almost) adjusting the balance.

That's not to say they're not an improvement - but if you're just getting into it, that's the way i'd do it.

YMMV. heh.

Your probably right. I don't know enough about carbs yet to get a fancy set. I'll try posting for a set of the cv 38's and see what I can come up with.

Now, I see there are vacuum and non vacuum type petcocks. Do yall know what would have came on my bike?

i think from your pictures you're missing your carb holders as well. Get the non vacuum petcocks. But get the carb holders with the vacuum barbs as well.it will make it easier to balance the carbs later.

Welcome suthpaw22
One thing to bear in mind when choosing your carb mounts.The only carb mounts available for 38's that ARE NOT affected by ethanol, have no barbs. I would be inclined to go the non vacuum fuel tap route (the vacuum ones always cause problems eventually) and decent carb mounts for the 38's. (there are removable screws on the 38's where you can put temporary barbs to balance the carbs).
If you go for 34's, decent ethanol proof carb mounts, with barbs are available.
Check out 650central for decent carb mounts and much more
Cheers Kev

Back