Just got spammed!!

angus67

Welder's penetrate deeper!!
Reaction score
stupid spammers. What the hel l is the point of it?
Anybody else get spammed here in the last 24hrs?
I had joined another forum, and it was just swamped with spam. Just terrible. the most recent real post was about last november.
How can we prevent this from happening?

Yeah, I got a pm from some dick called eternity (or something) with a link...........Didn't click the link & I see the poster has been banned. So yeah, I'd imagine they must have got to a few members to get banned!

Yeah, they got to quite a few people. When you send dozens of spammy PM's and have no posts, that'll get you banned pretty quick. Banning is the quickest way to shut someone down, and if someone is banned in error because I jumped the gun, they can always email to justify their actions to have it reversed. I have a feeling it was all manually done though and not done by a computer. I don't know why they would waste their time on a site like this. :shrug:

... How can we prevent this from happening?

You really can't... other than members letting me know right away so I can stop it before they spam more people. The image verification does a pretty good job of stopping the bots from joining, but if a person takes the time to fill register and fill out the image verification, verify their account by email, and PM users 5 at a time, the spam will get through.

Thankfully, most spammers are smarter than that and realize that manually spamming is relatively ineffective. :)laugh: I basically just said "thankfully spammers are smart". :doh:)

Report message button, huh? Guess I am dumber than a spammer, but I did send Travis an email when I got spammed. Looks like this joker will have to spend "eternity" on another site.

I got the eternity spam also. I run a message board for the antique Harley crowd. I get an average of ten manually registered membership applications from spammers each day. These jack-offs apparently have nothing better to do with their time. Keep up the great work Travis.
John

Yeah I got one too. I'm so naieve I thought eternity was a member. Why would someone go through all that trouble that Travis mentioned just to advertise. I never thought I would run into a bogus buddist... they probably have never even read Pema Chodron.

I never got the PM myself! :D :laugh:

Trex, even if you tried to reply to his/her PM, the system won't let you since they've been banned and can't receive PM's anymore.

I dont understand the spammer thing....do they work for someone? Do they get paid to reach a certain amount of 'people' a day? Or if some one replies, does it report a adress to send more to? (small, niave voice) Cuz, I, uh,.....clicked the link. Is my personall email account gonna get bombardered with spam?!?!

Color me stupid, where the heck is the report spam button? hjoeia012 is a spammer!

Gary, when you are logged in, you should see this
report.gif
in the lower-left corner of each post. :cheers:

Back