Just out of curiosity - Airplane Guys

Another thread with the oil disposal method from Popular Science got me to look at some old Popular Mechanics magazines sitting on the shelf. and thought this cover shot might interest some on this thread:
B-70.jpg

And note that at the same time were were told to dump used oil in a "dry well" in the back yard they were also working on a Supersonic Transport airplane.

that cool looking electric airplane at 400kW would require about (400,000 / 100 =) 4000 sq. metres or 41,000 sq.ft. of solar panels to fly (that is
Yup. Like I said; smaller, lighter batteries, with higher output. Smaller, lighter panels, with higher yield... Back to the old electronic brain... :shrug:
the square footage of a good sized elementary school or a really big house).

So increase the efficiency by a factor of 100. You only need 4100 sq ft of wing area. Where is Howard Hughes when we need him.

Haha! Why not…..maybe this experience will be the start of a lifelong passion! :cool:
If you have an EAA chapter near you she might be able to get a young eagles flight some day
They have flown over a 1,000,000+ kids so far
Get em while there young
Edit : more than 2,000,000 + kids

It's the military version of the Model 14 that Howard Hughes flew around the world in just under 4 days... quiet the feat back in the 30's

View attachment 203022
Looks even better in your image Jim.
The HH story has always facinated me.
And Cate Blanchett (God she's gorgeous) was the star in the film of HH; unlike Leo DeCaprio (He was good) or am I being sexist?

Screenshot 2021-12-10 at 22.28.36.png

Last edited:
Back