Just out of curiosity - Airplane Guys

Why did they cut up XC-99 was it part of a some kind of nuclear treaty as in letting the Russians know the bomber was destroyed
And are they still flying / training on the warthogs on a regular basis yet near you

1647517549437.png

1647517609793.png

Pretty Pillion and I flew to Denver this last weekend on a 787; my first time on one. Our trip was like the movie 'Planes, trains and Automobiles' but I'll just talk about the aircraft.
20220312a.jpg

We flew out of Washington Dulles on a United bird. A blizzard was fast approaching and the snow had begun an hour earlier. We hoped to be off the ground before the high winds hit. By the time we got to our seats on the spacious 787, the winds were picking up. The windows were covered in snow and I knew we would be delayed for de-icing.
20220312b.jpg

The Captain came on the speaker and told was they had a maintenance issue in the cockpit and that technicians were researching the remedy. I sent a text to my three sons in Denver that we were going to visit. I told them the technicians were looking up "How to fix a Boeing 787" on YouTube. I thought it was funny as did they.

The Captain said the issue was fixed and that we would head to the de-ice pits in a few minutes. However, in a few minutes he said that issue had returned. Pretty Pillion was a tad concerned with the 'Issue' and the blizzard now fully upon us. I assured her that the plane won't take off if conditions are outside of its limits nor will we fly if this so called 'issue; is not resolved.

Now delayed an hour with the maintenance matter, we finally pull out and head to the pits. We had to sit on the tarmac for another 20 minutes awaiting our turn. Dulles has some pretty cool looking sprayers now. The operator sits on the tractor and an arm reaches up and sprays the pertinent areas. This took about 20 minutes to do on the big bird even with a sprayer on each side.

As we approach the runway, the Captain tells us the climb out is going to be a little rough but once we are at altitude it should smooth out nicely. Allow me a brief pause in the story to remind you that I was a Naval Aircrewman for 21 years. Rough has a well defined meaning in my mind regarding take-offs and landing on helicopters. This take-off takes the cake for all time 'rough' take-offs and climb outs. Pretty Pillion squeezed all the black juice out of the seat's arm rests. I thought for sure we were rolling down one of Maryland highways instead of flying.

Once we broke out of the clouds, the big bird did settled down. Babies were crying, as were the guys with man buns, I laughed to myself being outnumbered by them both. (Don't berate me, I have seen what babies can do to a grown man, YouTube has many videos of the tragic assaults...)

The rest of the flight was great. The 787 is a wonderfully nice aircraft inside. The toilets even seem to be big enough for two...

A
Pretty Pillion and I flew to Denver this last weekend on a 787; my first time on one. Our trip was like the movie 'Planes, trains and Automobiles' but I'll just talk about the aircraft.
View attachment 209799
We flew out of Washington Dulles on a United bird. A blizzard was fast approaching and the snow had begun an hour earlier. We hoped to be off the ground before the high winds hit. By the time we got to our seats on the spacious 787, the winds were picking up. The windows were covered in snow and I knew we would be delayed for de-icing.
View attachment 209800

The Captain came on the speaker and told was they had a maintenance issue in the cockpit and that technicians were researching the remedy. I sent a text to my three sons in Denver that we were going to visit. I told them the technicians were looking up "How to fix a Boeing 787" on YouTube. I thought it was funny as did they.

The Captain said the issue was fixed and that we would head to the de-ice pits in a few minutes. However, in a few minutes he said that issue had returned. Pretty Pillion was a tad concerned with the 'Issue' and the blizzard now fully upon us. I assured her that the plane won't take off if conditions are outside of its limits nor will we fly if this so called 'issue; is not resolved.

Now delayed an hour with the maintenance matter, we finally pull out and head to the pits. We had to sit on the tarmac for another 20 minutes awaiting our turn. Dulles has some pretty cool looking sprayers now. The operator sits on the tractor and an arm reaches up and sprays the pertinent areas. This took about 20 minutes to do on the big bird even with a sprayer on each side.

As we approach the runway, the Captain tells us the climb out is going to be a little rough but once we are at altitude it should smooth out nicely. Allow me a brief pause in the story to remind you that I was a Naval Aircrewman for 21 years. Rough has a well defined meaning in my mind regarding take-offs and landing on helicopters. This take-off takes the cake for all time 'rough' take-offs and climb outs. Pretty Pillion squeezed all the black juice out of the seat's arm rests. I thought for sure we were rolling down one of Maryland highways instead of flying.

Once we broke out of the clouds, the big bird did settled down. Babies were crying, as were the guys with man buns, I laughed to myself being outnumbered by them both. (Don't berate me, I have seen what babies can do to a grown man, YouTube has many videos of the tragic assaults...)

The rest of the flight was great. The 787 is a wonderfully nice aircraft inside. The toilets even seem to be big enough for two...
As a line AMT for many years I was always amazed at the stories the captain would tell the passengers after I gave him my version of the story. You can only imagine!

“I’m just going to PBA that to the next station.”
PBA = Probably Be Alright

....OK, so.....its not supposed to land like that Boog?

All seriousness aside, I'd guess they'll need half the crew of that carrier to clean out the cockpit of that Cougar.....and seeing as the seats are still in that bird, it will likely require the other half of the crew to scrub out the shorts of the pilot and GiB....

These a/c restoration guys amaze me - here’s a great video on a B36 resto…

Windsor is HQ of the Canadian Historical Aircraft Assoc. (https://www.canadianaviationmuseum.ca/). The CHAA has a big hanger at Windsor Int’l Airport (YQG) and inside they have quite a few old airplanes, including several trainers that regularly fly (an NA Harvard or two, a couple of DHC-1 Chipmunks plus another being restored, Fairchild 24 Argus, an Auster and an AVRO Lancaster that was mounted on a plinth downtown for many years but is now dismantled awaiting space and funds….and….they are building, virtually from scratch, a DeHavilland Dh98 Mosquito Mk.XX. That aircraft is up on its wheels and is structurally complete - but the interior is still not done and it is unpainted at the moment. Apparently it will be airworthy but I think that they only plan to taxi it (same with the Lanc).

I actually stopped in there this morning to donate a book to their archives and I had a good look around. I’ll take some photos the next time I’m there.
CHAA website

Last edited:
Why did they cut up XC-99 was it part of a some kind of nuclear treaty as in letting the Russians know the bomber was destroyed
And are they still flying / training on the warthogs on a regular basis yet near you
So she could be trucked here on flatbed trailers.
The A-10C's are flying every day. 3 squadrons worth. At least one is for training new A-10 pilots.

Actually, the XC99 wasn't a bomber - it was purely a cargo and troop transport aircraft. Also, the era of cutting up weapons as part of arms treaties didn't start for quite some time after the operational career of the XC99 ended.

There was a time(I think it was in the later '50's) AF estimated it would require a cool million $ to make her airworthy again to transport her somewhere and nobody supported that idea. Soooooo she further rotted in place for a few decades more before she was sliced and diced for trucking to D-M. One can see missing metal where it corroded away thru the fenceline where she is now. Where they cut the tail off, a stairway can be seen going to the upper level. Unfortunatly the upper level is next to the lower because of where it was cut the long way. I can't find my pics in my laptop now! WTF! In # 1582 jetmechmarty posted a pic of her before the wing was removed. She was sliced vertically the wing joint and the length of the fuselage. Quartered she was and the tail sliced off. It's not a pretty sight. She did recieve modern bogie wheels landing gear arrangment when she was active. Replaced the single 13' main wheel.

Today the final Learjet was delivered to it's owner.... 58 years after the first Learjet delivery. I don't care who ya are, that's an impressive production run.
Link.

View attachment 210609
I once took 8 flights in one day on a privately owned Lear jet; bouncing around the UK and Ireland visiting customers.
The owner of the jet was (is) Pasquale Natuzzi, at the time he owned the largest upholstery sofa company with 860€ million turnover world wide.
He also owned 2 other private jets; and the worlds largest catamaran, which even had a church pipe organ on board!

Today the final Learjet was delivered to it's owner.... 58 years after the first Learjet delivery. I don't care who ya are, that's an impressive production run.
Link.

View attachment 210609

Very cool Jim - but a bit of a sad day for the Wichita Worm Tin....

...and Adam - that is quite a tale of a neat day!

Does anyone know what they are going to do with / build in that old Lear factory?

Back