Just out of curiosity - Airplane Guys

I saw that plane at the Farnborough air show. Can't remember the date, must have been late '80s - early '90s. Gave a very impressive display for such a a huge thing but the almost comedic moment was after the Antonov landed and the pilot waved to the crown and this tiny arm appeared from the cockpit side window.

After I watched the video, Youtube offered this about the Ghost of Kiev, might be worth a watch but the veracity of claims about a Ukrainian ace have not been confirmed:

Last edited:
VFT. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
02Feb28-F-84-Thunder (1).jpg

After I watched the video, Youtube offered this about the Ghost of Kiev, might be worth a watch but the veracity of claims about a Ukrainian ace have not been confirmed:
Some call him, "That Mig-29 Guy" or "Ace", but we just call him The Stig.

Relatedly, I was reading elsewhere that Poland is giving Ukraine its own stock of Mig-29s (about 30 or so) and they'll be replaced by F-16s.
Romania is rumoured to be doing the same.

Relatedly, I was reading elsewhere that Poland is giving Ukraine its own stock of Mig-29s (about 30 or so) and they'll be replaced by F-16s.
Romania is rumoured to be doing the same.
Yeah, just read that too. Since Ukraine already fly's the -29, training will be minimal. Basically climb in and go. Although dated, it's still a capable aircraft in the right hands.

Here's an ongoing podcast by people doing a Mach 5 passenger plane. An interesting inside glimpse, or as close as you're going to get...

Well, it's that time for the USAF Heritage Flight Training weekend. This year is unusual in that 8 P-51D's and an H showed up. Plus 1 F-86 on the vintage side and at least 2 each of F-16's, F-22 and F-35's. No F-15's. Usually there is quite the mix of WWII vintage fighters. Not this year. Friday was very windy so no flying that day.

Great take off sequence - six motors and four jets, they don't build 'em like that no more!

Maybe the good folks hereabouts can help me - years ago watched the best take off on film I've ever seen. The opening sequence of the film. It was a B52. The camera was rigged just ahead of the nose wheels, facing down and slightly back. Below the wheels was stationary concrete with, the usual skid marks & oil stains. Slowly, the concrete begins to slide backwards, the pace builds, the view is blurred by speed, the nose wheels lift, the ground drops away, the wheels swivel and tuck themselves away, the end of the runway comes in sight as the ground drops away further, now we can see the whole airbase, then more of the country. The director held the shot until the ground is miles below, snow-covered mountains at the edges of the screen. Wow! Up into the wild blue yonder on board the mighty B52.

I thought the film was Nest of Eagles, cold-war period film about an air base where Rock Hudson is sent in as the new base Commander. But when I bought a DVD of the film, huge disappointment, that sequence was not in the film. Plenty of B52 action, full squadron take offs with dirty old jet engines and plenty smoke but not the scene with the fuselage-mounted camera.

Does anybody know the scene I've described and where I can find it?

That B36 clip from Strategic Air Command came up on my YouTube feed this morning and I was JUST about to post it here.

Ahhhhh….the B36 Peacemaker….Jimmy Stewart and June Allyson, with Harry Morgan as the flight engineer (every good film has an engineer in it ;)).

I was in Nebraska on a service call for Husky Injection Molding Systems about 37 years ago and “somehow”, I wound up at Offut AFB where I went through the museum. They had a B36D there (six turnin’, four burnin’) and as I recall it, the rudder was on the ground beside the a/c. It may be my old memory playing tricks on me, but as I recall it, that thing was at least 6 feet thick at the leading edge. Truly a remarkable piece of technology.

Well, the innerwebz said it was available on Tubi. So I signed up for Tubi (free) and guess what? No movie. Dangit.

I have noted a lot of old movies are being posted on YouTube these days - could also check there.

EDIT: OK - I checked and the full movie does not seem to have been posted, but there are a number of clips from it.

Pete

That B36 clip from Strategic Air Command came up on my YouTube feed this morning and I was JUST about to post it here.

Ahhhhh….the B36 Peacemaker….Jimmy Stewart and June Allyson, with Harry Morgan as the flight engineer (every good film has an engineer in it ;)).

I was in Nebraska on a service call for Husky Injection Molding Systems about 37 years ago and “somehow”, I wound up at Offut AFB where I went through the museum. They had a B36D there (six turnin’, four burnin’) and as I recall it, the rudder was on the ground beside the a/c. It may be my old memory playing tricks on me, but as I recall it, that thing was at least 6 feet thick at the leading edge. Truly a remarkable piece of technology.
There’s a B36 parked indoors at Wright-Pat in Dayton, OH at the museum. To go with it is the Goblin and original MLG. The original airplane had one wheel on each main. The tires are 13 feet in diameter.

There is the last built B-36 at the Pima Air and Space Museum. The one and only built cargo version, the XC-99 is in many pieces in the boneyard here at Davis - Monthn AFB. I'll have to find some pics of the XC-99 in my gallery and post them here. Just the main fuselage was cut (as in sawed up) into 4 sections. Tail sawed off. Wing removed. She was cut up to be trucked here from San Antonio TX. I saw her 6 R-4360's in storage in the engine section. All in open storage. Kinda sad really.

Back