Just Ride.

Should this ride thread be just a.... well, thread? Or should there be a dedicated Forum topic?

• Yes, it's own topic in the Forums

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • Nah... threads good enough.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes, but that house is 200 years old, predating the war by a long period. I understood the US antebellum period to begin around 1830? Mississippi joined the union in 1817, so this house came at the beginning. I just learned this morning about the age of that house.

"The Antebellum Period in American history is generally considered to be the period before the Civil War and after the War of 1812, although some historians expand it to all the years from the adoption of the Constitution in 1789 to the beginning of the Civil War."
https://www.historynet.com/the-antebellum-period-what-happened-in-america-before-the-civil-war/
One branch of my family, the Gresham's, have been in what is now Lauderdale Co. Ala., right on the Ms. line, since 1818.

Have you ever read "The Real Lincoln" by Thomas DiLorenzo?
I have not but I was exposed to some of the arguments the author puts forth while an undergrad. I have to say, I'm more sympathetic to these ideas today. I also find myself agreeing with more with the Anti-Federalists.
I'll add that book to my list. Thank you.
Jim

When it comes to most things about politics or society, Wikipedia is generally to the left of center, IMHO. What DiLorenzo has written has been well documented.
None other than Rich Lowry wrote:

The anti-Lincolnites hate that the North instituted a progressive income tax; they never bother to complain that the Confederacy did the same. They hate that Lincoln suspended habeas corpus; they never note that Jefferson Davis did, too. They hate that the North resorted to a draft; they don't care that the Confederacy also had one. They hate that Lincoln fought a war against his countrymen; it evidently never occurs to them that Jefferson Davis shot back (let alone that he fired the first shot).

Show me where Rich Lowry is left of center and I'll eat your hat.

I s
None other than Rich Lowry wrote:

The anti-Lincolnites hate that the North instituted a progressive income tax; they never bother to complain that the Confederacy did the same. They hate that Lincoln suspended habeas corpus; they never note that Jefferson Davis did, too. They hate that the North resorted to a draft; they don't care that the Confederacy also had one. They hate that Lincoln fought a war against his countrymen; it evidently never occurs to them that Jefferson Davis shot back (let alone that he fired the first shot).

Show me where Rich Lowry is left of center and I'll eat your hat.
I said generally. I suggest reading the book.

I’ve finally got my workshop build going at my house 30x30 with 12ft walls so I figured before I really need to brake away and get in construction mode for a bit, I’d get the last bike I have needing some love back on the road.

The RD had been sitting for about 12 years in my shed and about 10 years prior to that in my fathers shed. I havnt really ridden this since about 14. (A few times around the block when I got possession 12 years ago).

It’s a solid runner and can’t wait to put some good miles on it. Forgot what a screamer it really is for such a small bike.

Only got a 35 mile loop on it but it’s a blast to ride. My new grocery getter for sure.

2D6D65D0-922A-4968-9753-171079361B8C.jpeg

I’ve finally got my workshop build going at my house 30x30 with 12ft walls so I figured before I really need to brake away and get in construction mode for a bit, I’d get the last bike I have needing some love back on the road.

The RD had been sitting for about 12 years in my shed and about 10 years prior to that in my fathers shed. I havnt really ridden this since about 14. (A few times around the block when I got possession 12 years ago).

It’s a solid runner and can’t wait to put some good miles on it. Forgot what a screamer it really is for such a small bike.

Only got a 35 mile loop on it but it’s a blast to ride. My new grocery getter for sure.

View attachment 239770

That’s a beautiful little bike for sure. I’ve heard from other owners that they are not much slower than the 350.
Do you still have that CB750 you restored or has that been sold?

View attachment 239770
Mmmm.... I can smell it from here.... :heart: :laugh2:

That’s a beautiful little bike for sure. I’ve heard from other owners that they are not much slower than the 350.
Do you still have that CB750 you restored or has that been sold?

Still got it. Don’t think I’ll ever sell it since I don’t think I could ever afford to buy a replacement should I want it again in the future. I have into it what most people are asking for a project bike worse than what I started with.

Got a nice ride on it last weekend. Even with 35mph head winds it still cruises along on the highway at 85 no problem.

As for the 350 to 200 - I had an R5 a long while back and it would certainly smoke this guy, it was fully tuned though. Never ridden a stock 350.

View attachment 239770

Doggone it, that French Blue color theme just pops.

I dont care if its on the 76 XS650 or on an RD, I just love it. 😍

Doggone it, that French Blue color theme just pops.

I dont care if its on the 76 XS650 or on an RD, I just love it. 😍

Funny, I’m not particularly much a fan of it. I don’t think it really fits the time period color wise. I’ve also had 2 XS in this color.

I’d take almost any other standard color scheme over this one.

But the RD was my first bike so I’ll keep it forever.

The RD was only produced 1 year in this color with 2000 units total, so quite low numbers.

Back