Just Ride.

Should this ride thread be just a.... well, thread? Or should there be a dedicated Forum topic?

• Yes, it's own topic in the Forums

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • Nah... threads good enough.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Lunch time again. This time in Sistersville, WV
20230613_142855.jpg

20230613_142241.jpg

Maybe a ferry ride to OH in a bit......

I arrived back in Memphis after an extended weekend in which I rode 1046 miles on a Tiger 1200. We went as far as Munising, MI.
1686705825309.png

Dinner was at the famous Dogpatch. Meh. Food was barely OK, but we still had fun.
1686706012128.png

Mel asked this kid who was waiting on us, "Dude, can I buy weed from you?"

From there, we took a lake cruise of Pictured Rocks, 8P to 10P.
1686706369437.png

1686706402799.png

1686706468071.png

1686706521829.png

1686706583922.png

I've got a lot of pictures. For more, just Google "Pictured Rocks". It was bitter cold and we were getting tossed about like a cork. It was far colder than being on the bike.
1686706815176.png

1686706866422.png

1686706948194.png

I arrived back in Memphis after an extended weekend in which I rode 1046 miles on a Tiger 1200. We went as far as Munising, MI.
View attachment 245196
Dinner was at the famous Dogpatch. Meh. Food was barely OK, but we still had fun.
View attachment 245197
Mel asked this kid who was waiting on us, "Dude, can I buy weed from you?"

From there, we took a lake cruise of Pictured Rocks, 8P to 10P.
View attachment 245198
View attachment 245199
View attachment 245200
View attachment 245202
View attachment 245203
I've got a lot of pictures. For more, just Google "Pictured Rocks". It was bitter cold and we were getting tossed about like a cork. It was far colder than being on the bike.
View attachment 245205
View attachment 245206
View attachment 245207
You got the crap shoot for weather, hope that doesn't sour your view of this part of the country. Last weekend was stunning, next weekend too will probably be brilliant. This weekend ended a 2 or 3 week drought with cold wet weather. I haven't cut my grass in 3 weeks due to drought and no growth.

You got the crap shoot for weather, hope that doesn't sour your view of this part of the country. Last weekend was stunning, next weekend too will probably be brilliant. This weekend ended a 2 or 3 week drought with cold wet weather. I haven't cut my grass in 3 weeks due to drought and no growth.
I can tell you with no uncertainty that I'm not coming up there to live!

About the trip on the Triumph. The agenda was a bit unrestrained. I'm being nice. We drove right by anything I wanted to see or get a photo of. We rode the very beautiful M22 in the dark. We covered the state in 96 hours. I don't care for going that hard or riding freeways. The Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer is very good. Once I climb up onto it an go, I'd never have guessed it was 725 lbs unloaded. It's very easy to drive. I'm immediately doing U turns in the street. In my first 300 yards, a neighbor attempted to hurt me. She backed out of her drive without ever giving a look. She's have run into me or the UPS truck. I saw it coming and easily evaded on the big Tiger before I had a chance to make friend with it. I've ridden some other adventure bikes, and the Triumph powerplant trumps them all. It's amazing. The bike is easy to drive and is extremely fast and agile. It will carry everything AND the kitchen sink. I had it up to about 95 mph on the freeway and it's effortless driving at that speed, not that I like driving that fast. In the rain, I didn't get wet. I was in the quiet bubble, cruise control and heated grips. I love the triple! Did I say I like the 1200 triple?

I suffered a bit on this bike. I'm 5 feet 15 inches tall and 64 years old. In less than 96 hours, I rode this bike 1045 miles. The foot rests are too high for me and my right knee was folded too tight. I had to lean forward to the grips. I felt like I was sitting on a tennis ball. Yeah. My prostate. It hurt after this ride. Also, I have arthritis in my hands and I don't like leaning on them. My riding buddies weren't too good about speed control, so that made it difficult to use the cruise control. Getting cut off and behind on the freeway had me testing the acceleration. It's a great bike and I love it, but I think I would have traded for the Harley on day 2.

Anyway, I had fun. I talked to a lot of nice people.

1686709644292.png

Marty, your list of issues is EXACTLY why I don't ride in groups. I ride by myself, go where I want to go, at the pace I'm comfortable with and stop when I want to stop. The companionship is nice but pretty much everything else about it is a pain in the ass.

(I don't know why people call me a misanthrope...)

Marty, your list of issues is EXACTLY why I don't ride in groups. I ride by myself, go where I want to go, at the pace I'm comfortable with and stop when I want to stop. The companionship is nice but pretty much everything else about it is a pain in the ass.

I couldn’t agree with you more. When I first got back into riding in my 40’s I started going on group rides with guys I worked with. What is it with guys that when they are riding together it suddenly turns into a race? I like to stop a lot, anywhere that interests me, and take detours down unknown roads just to see where they go. You just can’t do that with a group.
Twice I got pulled into traffic arguments because one of the guys I was riding with got cut off in traffic or whatever. That’s really not my style. So…..Solo Suzuki am I! 😎

I’ve had a select few that I’ve had a lot of long rides with. I’ll ride with them any time and any where. I’m talking party of two. Then there’s rally attendance. I co-hosted the Vintage Yamaha Rally for several years. We have large group rides with a careful pre planned itinerary. The core group is the same every year, so folks generally know where in the group they fit. It worked. Mostly. (Best for me to stop there.)

This was a unique opportunity for me. The stars all had to align. I had direct flights up and back at no cost to me (I retired from the airline). I have a close friend who wanted me to ride with him and he provided me with a motorcycle. Also, I had never seen Michigan beyond the airports. The negative part was the trip was over ambitious. The original scope was me and Kevin. Then he added Mel, then wives. At that point I pretty much decided not to go since my wife wasn’t available. Good thing, because she would not have enjoyed it. Last minute, I got a flight and I went. All in all, I had a good time, but I won’t do a trip like that again.

Done thousands of miles through Ireland, UK & Europe with my mate Tony. Riding at a good pace to cover the miles; but more sedate when we got to the stunning scenery and better roads. Our policy was ' Who's in front stays in front' on any given section; never a race. We stop whenever we like and take photos at all opportunities. Only once did we take another mate along; on a tour to Scotland. Never again as the newbie didn't like the frequent stops; nor the varied pace of our ride. He constantly blamed his bike (Suzuki intruder thing) for his lacklustre riding, so I swapped his for my Honda CB750. I spanked his bike down the next Glen without issue. Group riding is a chore and not for me.

FIRST TOUR TO SOMEWHARE IN IRELAND
IMG_0219.jpeg

ISLE OF MAN TT RACES 1995
IMG_0220.jpeg

I still have a full head of hair......Just sayin'

IMG_0222.jpeg

I got clocked by the cops at 112mph in a 30mph zone at Union Mills! Big fine next day!!!

SCOTLAND TOUR TEAM
IMG_0221.jpeg

Newbie Liam in full fur collar mode. A lovely guy, and we're still good mates, but he didn't really get into biking.

I ride mostly solo, so don't mind an occasional 2 or 3 rider I know ride.

A large group is always dragged down to the level of it's worst rider. And suffers in several ways because of it's length.
Yes, I consider myself experienced at this. I’ve been doing group tours since about 2001. My own experiences have been mostly good, but there have been disasters. The Ozark 2023 rally is a good example of what can and sometimes does happen. I have witnessed worse outcomes, unfortunately.
Six or seven years ago, I went to a XS11.com rally at Lake George in New York. That’s a long ride from Georgia. At the end, I started south to home with a sizable group onto the interstate. At the first exit I decided to hold up my arm and wave to the rear view mirrors. I hate an interstate blast, even in my car. I spent three relaxing days riding home by myself on my vintage motorcycle. I saw things that I may never have opportunity to see again.

Back