Just Ride.

Should this ride thread be just a.... well, thread? Or should there be a dedicated Forum topic?

• Yes, it's own topic in the Forums

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • Nah... threads good enough.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
435 miles round trip for a Chef Phil meal, campfire and night in a tent?
Yeah sure you betcha eh?
Arguing with the GPS can get interesting in the North woods. For fully loaded and ridden by an old guy it did pretty good, rocks, sticks, downed trees, mud holes, and some turn-arounds at dead ends and finally found a way through.
View attachment 246119
At a State Forest campground by a small lake near Eagle River WI.
View attachment 246120View attachment 246121View attachment 246122View attachment 246123View attachment 246124
Hobo dinners...

435 miles round trip for a Chef Phil meal, campfire and night in a tent?
Yeah sure you betcha eh?

Looks like a great camp out! You're livin the life Gary!
IMG_1188.jpeg

That was one of Buells trademark innovations, it creates a compact exhaust system and helps to keep the center of gravity low. It has been widely adopted by other brands. That big perimeter front brake disc was another of his innovations that met with less success, early models suffered from warping problems. I assume that was later rectified.
Never noticed the perimeter front rotor. Cool.

Riding home tonight from a local coffee shop bike meet. Was doing about 80 kph and some jackass in oncoming traffic decides he wants to go about 120. It was a paved road but this guys car was throwing up stones. Got a big one right square in the middle of my face shield. If the shield wasn’t down it would have caused me a world of hurt. Moral of the post is eye protection while riding is sooo important. I always ride with my visor or face shield down.

Put about 20 miles on it. If the gauges said Smiths you'd think it was a Triumph from the riders perch.. There's even a small valve cover leak for the full effect. ;^)
Feels a bit smaller, lighter than the XS. This one has aftermarket shocks and cartridge emulators in the forks so the suspension is quite good. Honestly, just a touch harsher on road bumps than Madness. Steering is light, has just a bit of fall in into corners like a stock XS650. Overall sit is near identical to XS650. The seat has a beam under the foam just aft of the bum pocket so no sliding back for a different riding position. Single front rotor has good stopping and feel, trans shifts smooth and accurately, motor very smooth, This one showing 40K on the ODO. You wouldn't guess it was a twin if you were riding blindfolded. :yikes:
Great machine!
KIMG4160.JPG

KIMG4159.JPG

KIMG4161.JPG

Sent him home a with a set of UNI air filters on it, see if they work better than the K&N with a sock that were on it. Stapped old filters to the bars to get em home.

Last edited:
Took a ride to the east side of Skaneateles Lake on my '75 yesterday to visit my friend Bill from West Virginia who is here in central New York to visit family. He always brings 3 of his '68- '74 Yamaha Enduros for his brothers to ride. He has 11 Enduros, four 360's and seven 250's, no joke. The baha brown 360 in the middle is for sale. The others are the green '73 and the orange '71.

Enduros.jpg

Red Bike went out for more than a ride around town. I followed LS north past Whistling Straits Golf Course and stopped at Hika Bay. The road is mixed 35, 45 and 55 with some sweepers around the golf course and along the shoreline of lake Michigan. The Red Bike seems more nimble than the Tracker. Seems odd because they wear the same size tires and handle bars are within an inch of eachother.
redbike11.jpg

I continued north on LS for more of the same style road but came to a "Fresh Gravel" sign in under a mile. The county had slurry coated 5 miles and spread a thin layer of 3/8 stone. Must have been a week old because the car tire tracks were well packed but other areas were still somewhat loose. 5 miles at a cautious 25 mph, I am not going to risk this paint on a foolish mishap.

I arrived in Manitowoc (home of the SS Badger) and stopped at the popular Cedar Crest Ice Cream ice cream stand.
redbike12.jpg

A $4 cone later (and worth it!) I rode through Manitowoc heading west to Hwy 42 which winds south through rolling farm country and a few small residential areas. Red Bike likes this kind of road. Odometer (since fill) had 75 miles when I got the fuel sputter about 8 miles from the next gas station, reserve got me there. This girl is thirsty. Did a total of ~65 or so miles.

Last edited:
Red Bike went out for more than a ride around town. I followed LS north past Whistling Straits Golf Course and stopped at Hika Bay. The road is mixed 35, 45 and 55 with some sweepers around the golf course and along the shoreline of lake Michigan. The Red Bike seems more nimble than the Tracker. Seems odd because they wear the same size tires and handle bars are within an inch of eachother.
View attachment 247096
I continued north on LS for more of the same style road but came to a "Fresh Gravel" sign in under a mile. The county had slurry coated 5 miles and spread a thin layer of 3/8 stone. Must have been a week old because the car tire tracks were well packed but other areas were still somewhat loose. 5 miles at a cautious 25 mph, I am not going to risk this paint on a foolish mishap.

I arrived in Manitowoc (home of the SS Badger) and stopped at the popular Cedar Crest Ice Cream ice cream stand. A $4 cone lterView attachment 247098
Are you telling us you undercoated your fenders then? ;)

Man, that profile of your bike in this pic, the way its sitting....thats an Egan moment for me right there. Perfect.

1689450116914.png

Are you telling us you undercoated your fenders then? ;)

Man, that profile of your bike in this pic, the way its sitting....thats an Egan moment for me right there. Perfect.

View attachment 247100
The fenders are undercoated with "truck bed liner spray" but I stayed on the tire packed area and under 25 mph.

I think the simple paint scheme and spare use of chrome helps a lot.
Totally agree. The bike shows off it's mechanical beauty with its simplicity. It looks like it has a purpose other than just being flashy. I've always felt that chrome/polished billet etc is almost always over used on both custom bikes and cars. Your bike is as tasteful as they get.

Back