Katana signal wiring on xs

btrac11

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I'm using the katana signal/dimmer switches on my xs. I got my bright dim switch to work, I can get my signals to turn on but cannot get them to flash. The wiring for the katana has 3 wires from the switch for the blinker. Blue green and black. The xs has I believe 5 -green brown red/yellow black and brown. Any ideas?

When I wired the dimmer hi/lo switch I now have an extra yellow wire, the blue green powers that part of the switch. I can get the relay for the blinkers to buzz when and blink when I ground it. I need to somehow get the flasher unit to work. I have power to both blinkers, and the xs brown white wire connected to the common on the switch but cannot get them to blink.

I am in desperate need of some help. Could changing the blinker switch reall have an effect on it so that they don't blink? Or is it possible the front blinkers need hooked up to complete the circuit? Or possibly overload it to make it flash?

I am in desperate need of some help. Could changing the blinker switch reall have an effect on it so that they don't blink? Or is it possible the front blinkers need hooked up to complete the circuit? Or possibly overload it to make it flash?
No, a switch is a switch
Yes, the blinkers work by having a certain resistance, two 27 Watt bulbs plus a three Watt indicator bulb 57 Watts/12 Volts = roughly 4.7 Amp draw, one bulb won't blink
get a electronic flasher or put in the right bulbs

I hooked up the fronts and it still didn't blink. I can get them to light up but not blink. I've got the flasher going to the center wire of the switch. And left right accordingly. Everything lights up as it should but does not blink. I'm at a loss, just figured it would be nice to have a newer updated switch that works smoothly compared to my original.

As stated above you need the correct amount of resistance for the flasher to work correctly. Just like in your car, if a bulb is burnt out they won't flash. Same here, add your second bulb on each side and it in theory will work.

Just use a jumper or basic test light in your circuit. The added resistance will activate the flasher. Trust me, I learned from experience. But with mine I was using LEDs and needed inline resistors even though I was using an "LED" flasher.

Got the headlight mounted. Cut the original mounting brackets with a hacksaw and slid it over the now larger forks. Looks good I think. Gonna work more on the blinkers tomorrow. Is there anyway to test the flasher?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 101
Yup. 1 wire from + to the flasher. Ground a test light on the same 12v battery, and the probe the other side of your 2 prong flasher. Blinky blinky.

So are you saying to use a test light between the flasher wire and the switch to add resistance to make it flash? Anyway to test the flasher?

So. I tried what you said using a positive jumper and the test light. I got a dim light on the test light. But no blinky noise. So I went one step further and I attached a full ground jumper and a positive jumper from the battery and all I got was a noise, kinda like a grunt noise, like a shorted out pissed off bee. Bad flasher?

So I think I have a gremlin. Blinkers are now intermittently blinking. They will go solid, move a few wires and they flash again. Guess I may have to rewire this thing. Grrr

Back