kick start only

staggers

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
G'day all,

Please excuse my ignorance as this is my 1st build and I'm still learning it all. Just want to get it right the 1st time if you know what I mean. Haha

I'm wanting to get some more info on kick start only conversions.
Lets say I've installed a new pamco ignition and a new PMA (I haven't yet but that's the plan) is there anything else I need to get or do to make it batteryless? I realise that I need a capacitor in place of a battery, is this literally swapping the battery for a capacitor using same/existing wiring?
Also will a 200watt PMA power all lights, blinkers, horn and all?

Cheers for your help. I'm not too bad with the mechanical side of things just the electrical stuffs me.:banghead:

Same boat here. Previous owner installed a pamco, I just installed my pma last night.

Using the stock harness I lost electric start, and my headlight. I figured out the electric start, and now just need to get the headlight working.

Looking around online, the common answer seems to be re wire the bike with a simplified harness, which I will probably end up doing, because now I have this weird tangled rats nest under the seat.

the capacitor is a direct replacement for a battery, and new wiring is a must. The old crusty stock wiring can not be trusted.

The search feature on this forum does wonders for anyone looking to learn. What you're aiming to do has been done numerous times over. There are photos posted of simplified wiring harnesses as well as members making harnesses for your desired needs at a reasonable price.
Search around, read, you may learn something!
And welcome to the thunderdome.

Back