Kick starter problems

Markee

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I read the section on home page under clutch but still got issues.
Manual says to tension spring when reinstalling but don't know by how much. Assume put the clip in bottom RHS with engaging gear as far away from bike on shaft then insatll the tension spring. As can & have rotated the clip not sure where to place it that will give the required tension on spring. Is there any tell tale signs on inspection to show it may need the repair kit?
This is a new bike that i haven't had started but seemed to kick over OK
If line up the clip & the spring with no tension on it, push the shaft in, the gear turns in & meshs with the internal gear(only meshs about 1/2 the width of gears?) to get the kicker to turn have to start with the kicker angled towards the front wheel!!!
I think has something with lining up the clip & spring. Pushing the clip all the way into it's holder turns the gear into mesh with the internal gear?
Is the 1/2 only meshing correct?
Thanks

how do the teeth look on the face of the gear? does it ever grind when you're kicking it? that was the problem i ran into with an old honda pit bike. the tension spring has little notches it fit into, it should be the same with the xs but im not fully sure on that.

I think I reponed to this question at the Garage. Do you have a repair manual? The Clymer book explains it pretty well. You tension the kickstart by turn counterclockwise about 1/2 to 3/4 turn, enough so it slips into the case.

Back